[comp.lang.smalltalk] How to find instances of a class in Smalltalk/v PM

wangw@ul.ie (10/01/90)

I am using Smalltalk V/PM now. I met a problem to find a instance of a class.
For example, when I want to delete a class, the system tells me that there
is some instances of that class so that I cannot delete that class. But I
inspect the Smalltalk(System Dictionary) and couldnot find the instances of
that class. I donot know where they are stored. Now because of too many
instances of some window class, the system speed degraded quickly. It is always
doing some swap between memory and disk. Is there any experts can help me
Would you tell me how I can find a instance of a class(the name) and where
they are stored? (when I used the method "allInstances" to that class, it
returns an Array of instances of that class, but it is no use because I donot
know what is their name and I cannot delete them.)

I cannot do anything because it takes 5 minutes to open a window now.
Would you reply as soon as possible? My e-mail is:
   wangw@ul.ie.
Thank you!

jwh@flam.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Howe) (10/02/90)

In article <8462@ul.ie> wangw@ul.ie writes:
>I am using Smalltalk V/PM now. I met a problem to find a instance of a class.
>For example, when I want to delete a class, the system tells me that there
>is some instances of that class so that I cannot delete that class.
>[stuff deleted]

In Smalltalk V/PM you can generally get rid of unwanted window occurrences
by executing the following statement:

  Notifier reinitialize.

This will close all open windows and create a new empty transcript.
You should save any data in any windows that are currently open if
you have made any changes in any open window.

James W. Howe			   internet: jwh@ifs.umich.edu
University of Michigan             uucp:     uunet!mailrus!ifs.umich.edu!jwh
Ann Arbor, MI   48103-4943