[comp.lang.smalltalk] PPS overpriced = low marketshare

dlw@Atherton.COM (David Williams) (09/29/90)

Just Think, if you are a student you can now buy a NeXTstation and get a
complete development environment with it for $2995. Thats cheaper than the cost
of PPS's product! Even retail is $4995...one could get gnusmalltalk and put a
nextstep GUI on it.

PPS is far too overpriced and will remain just a curiosity--in spite of the
enormous capabilities--because of its bizzare pricing structure.

As an individual I can buy an environment like say THINK C for $150 or so.
Now perhaps PPS is not interested in being a successful software company,
perhaps its all that time spent in Xerox that has blunted their hunger to
make money and see their wonderful product in the hands of more people.

I' d like to think this is not the case. I mean who REALLY wants to program
in C++?
----------
      David Williams -- dlw@atherton.com -- (408) 734-9822 x291
	    Atherton Technology -- The Software BackPlane
	       1333 Bordeaux Drive Sunnyvale, CA 94089
			 AIX,SunOS,Ultrix,VMS
				  *

ejd@iris.brown.edu (Ed Devinney) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Sep28.171937@Atherton.COM> dlw@Atherton.COM (David
Williams) writes:
> Just Think, if you are a student you can now buy a NeXTstation and get a
> complete development environment with it for $2995. Thats cheaper than
the cost
> of PPS's product!

I just spoke to PPS yesterday, and they gave $3500 as a _site_ license fee
(educational); $350 for an individual license.  Am I missing something?

Anyone using Objectworks/St in a multiprogrammer environment?  Are we out
of our minds to try to do so?

ed

Ed Devinney ... ejd@iris.brown.edu ... IRIS/Brown University
- Visualize Whirled Peas -

paul@Data-IO.COM (Paul Brownlow) (10/03/90)

In article <51869@brunix.UUCP> ejd@iris.brown.edu (Ed Devinney) writes:
 >I just spoke to PPS yesterday, and they gave $3500 as a _site_ license fee
 >(educational); $350 for an individual license.  Am I missing something?
   ^^^^^^^^^^^
That's the key - a lot of us out here don't fall into the "educational"
category and end up spend a lot more dough.

 >Anyone using Objectworks/St in a multiprogrammer environment?  Are we out
 >of our minds to try to do so?

I worked on a ST-80 project with 4-5 programmers.  It's possible to succeed
if the areas of work are very well partitioned, otherwise you'll be pulling
your hair out (until you have none left) at "merge" time.

--
Paul Brownlow				| "Saddam Hussein is a liar" -G. Bush
Data I/O Corp.  Redmond, WA		| "George Bush is a liar" -S. Hussein
					| "Liar, liar, pants on fire" - kids

cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill) (10/03/90)

Smalltalk can be difficult in a multi-programmer environment.  We have
been using Digitalk ST/V on pcs and Macs here, and have found that we
have to be *very* careful about not stomping on each other's work.

The strategy we developed works fairly well:  as project leader, my
machine is designated as the master source.  We try to keep work
partitioned, so that only one person works on a class or subset of class
methods at a time.  Then once every two or three days, as needed,
everyone brings their stuff to my machine, files it in, and we verify
that in fact everything works together.  Then we file out the entire set
of application classes and methods (gotta get one of those application
browsers--this part is a nightmare), and everyone goes back and copies
the whole new set of stuff over their old stuff.

We have also found it to be pretty useful to program in pairs part of
the time.  It not only cuts down on overlapping code problems, but ST is
so compact and powerful that we seem to get more done at times
(together) than if the two of us work separately.  In my experience,
this never works well with conventional languages because you spend so
much time just typing, editing, debugging syntax errors, and similar
stuff, so one person ends up just sitting around.
--

warner@scubed.com (Ken Warner) (10/03/90)

In article <2734@dataio.Data-IO.COM> paul@Data-IO.COM (Paul Brownlow) writes:
--In article <51869@brunix.UUCP> ejd@iris.brown.edu (Ed Devinney) writes:
-- --I just spoke to PPS yesterday, and they gave $3500 as a _site_ license fee
-- --(educational); $350 for an individual license.  Am I missing something?
--   ^^^^^^^^^^^
--That's the key - a lot of us out here don't fall into the "educational"
--category and end up spend a lot more dough.

For the past two years we've been using XSIS's Analyst to prototype an
approach to project managment.  Analyst is a great tool.  But around here, as
people become aware of the new price their attitude is, "...well, that about
kills it," meaning pursuit of future business based on Smalltalk/Analyst is
simply not a reasonable thing to do because our clients will not spend that much
money on Smalltalk.  And we will not spend that much money on Smalltalk as a
prerequisite to development.

Sigh!  Guess I'll dust off my (bleah) X Windows manuals.

Ken Warner

johnson@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/04/90)

Smalltalk-80 works fine for multiprogrammer projects.  The
change management tools are an important part of its success,
since these tools let you know exactly which part of the
image have been changed and whether several sets of changes
will conflict.

There are currently four people working on the project, down
from six last summer.  The project is large, so there are
parts of it that are fairly independent, but we often have
several people working on the same classes.  As long as they
behave properly, this is not a problem.

Ideally, people file out their changes every day or so and
put them in a common directory.  The files are ordered by
the time they were created.  The rule is that a new file
must be compatible with all the ones before it.  Sometimes
a new file will not be compatible with changes that someone
is currently working on.  That is the fault of the person
who has NOT installed his changes.  This rarely happens
unless someone has been sitting on changes for weeks and weeks.
Most change files are small; a dozen methods or less.  Obviously,
major changes cause more problems.

I have heard a lot more complaints from people using Smalltalk-V,
since it does not have the same change management tools.  However,
Smalltalk-80 is better for multiprogrammer projects then Unix with
RCS and make.

Ralph Johnson -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign