[comp.lang.smalltalk] CMS was Re:PPS overpriced = low marketshare

klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (10/05/90)

In article <5600012@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, johnson@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> Smalltalk-80 works fine for multiprogrammer projects.  The
	Not if you've got more than 6 people on the same
	project even if they are very disciplined.
> change management tools are an important part of its success,
> since these tools let you know exactly which part of the
> image have been changed and whether several sets of changes
> will conflict.
	Absolutely true!

.. [stuff deleted]....

> I have heard a lot more complaints from people using Smalltalk-V,
> since it does not have the same change management tools.  However,
	Smalltalk/V is positioned as the get your feet wet with
	Smalltalk product (what do you want for $69).  Although it has been
	used to develop commercial products, it does have some limitations that
	can be a problem for a real product.  Smalltalk/V286 and
	Smalltalk/V-PM are the tools that seem to be getting the
	major attention re: commercial development support and I
	believe that there will be some phenomenal product announcements
	for team programming tools for these products very very shortly.
	A lot of the street-wise ST product developers are tuned into this
	and are using prerelease copies.  For more insight as to the team
	programming issues, look as the Orwell paper by Dave Thomas et. al.
	in OOPSLA 87(?).
> Smalltalk-80 is better for multiprogrammer projects then Unix with
> RCS and make.
	Then this is hardly an encouraging statement about the state of affairs
	in the RCS and MAKE worlds!