[net.movies] Body Double confusion

tds@ihlpg.UUCP (Tim Sullivan) (12/26/85)

I've read most of the replies to the movie Body Double
and agree with most of the interpretations.

HOWEVER, I do have a problem with 2 parts of the movie
that seems to me to be a mistake.

First of all, we have Jake following Gloria around at the
mall and later to the beach. We also see the Indian following
her. Gloria calls her husband from an apartment on the beach.
Now if the indian is actually her husband in disguise, then
how could she call him when he is hiding around the beach??

Next problem:

When Jake is watching Gloria come home and sees the indian
in her room apparently stealing valuables,
Jakes friend who set him up in the house,
who is supposed to be Glorias husband,
who is actually the indian in disguise calls him on the
phone to make sure that he is watching Gloria's house.
But how can that be when you already see him in the house
disguised as the indian?
If this was confusing to read, try the movie.

Did I miss something?? Was there 2 indians??

Can someone clear up this mystery for me?

Thanks in advance,

Tim Sullivan

rcook@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (12/27/85)

1st : The lady was talking to her lover not her husband (the Indian).
      (listen to the dialogue)

2nd : The Indian is not visable (and I think not talking) when Jake
      see's the "action" in the house.

	 Rob Cook

UUCP:	 {ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!rcook

      'Life is just a cocktail party on the street'
			-Mick Jagger-

krantz@csd2.UUCP (Michaelntz) (12/27/85)

> Can someone clear up this mystery for me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tim Sullivan

I thought I remembered and understood Body Double pretty
well, Tim, but your note makes it clear that I haven't
the faintest idea what was going on.  Time to see it again.

Over the years I've discovered that, like his mentor
Hitchcock, DePalma's films get better and better as
time goes by...

- Michael Krantz

- - - - -

"The text reveals the process of its own production."

tds@ihlpg.UUCP (Tim Sullivan) (12/27/85)

> 1st : The lady was talking to her lover not her husband (the Indian).
>       (listen to the dialogue)
>
> 2nd : The Indian is not visable (and I think not talking) when Jake
>       see's the "action" in the house.
>

> 	 Rob Cook

Well that is what I originally thought for the first point, but
no where else in the movie is it implied that
she has a lover I don't think. Okay, I can
live with this answer.

I have to disagree with you on the second part. I've
seen the movie three times and Jake can see the indian
in the house while he is on the phone. The indian is
in the process of robbing the house and Jake has a hard
time paying attention to the phone conversation because he
is so busy watching the crime taking place. Even
the husband  on the phone asks if anything is wrong.
So I think you are mistaken on your second conclusion
that Jake doesn't see the indian until the conversation
is over.
I think it was a mistake that was left in there to intentionally
mislead the viewer from suspecting the right person.

Tim Sullivan

lo@harvard.UUCP (Bert S.F. Lo) (12/30/85)

In article <1504@ihlpg.UUCP>, tds@ihlpg.UUCP (Tim Sullivan) writes:

> > 1st : The lady was talking to her lover not her husband (the Indian).
> >       (listen to the dialogue)
> >
> > 2nd : The Indian is not visible (and I think not talking) when Jake
> >       sees the "action" in the house.
> >
> > 	 Rob Cook
>
> Well that is what I originally thought for the first point, but no where else
> in the movie is it implied that she has a lover I don't think. Okay, I can
> live with this answer.

When Gloria first entered the atrium, she placed a phone call to her lover,
telling him/her that "he" hit her again (we come to realize that the person
who hit her was her husband, Alexander/Sam). So there was a previous reference
to her lover.

> I have to disagree with you on the second part. I've seen the movie three
> times and Jake can see the indian in the house while he is on the phone. The
> indian is in the process of robbing the house and Jake has a hard time paying
> attention to the phone conversation because he is so busy watching the crime
> taking place. Even the husband  on the phone asks if anything is wrong.  So I
> think you are mistaken on your second conclusion that Jake doesn't see the
> indian until the conversation is over.  I think it was a mistake that was
> left in there to intentionally mislead the viewer from suspecting the right
> person.

I've seen this movie seven times, twice in the last 2 weeks, in fact once last
night and the Indian isn't visible in Gloria's house until after Jake hangs up.
Jake is preoccupied watching Gloria and the policeman in her house. When he
hangs up, the Indian and his drill appear.

                            :::     ::::::     :::
                          :::  :::   ::::   :::  :::
                        ::::     :::  ::  :::     ::::
                       ::::                        ::::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::      Bert S.F. Lo      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::: lo@harvard.HARVARD.EDU :::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                       ::::                        ::::
                        ::::     :::  ::  :::     ::::

kato@utcsri.UUCP (John Kitamura) (12/30/85)

I'd like to point out another bit of confusion. At one point (I think
where Craig Wasson is explaining how he was set up) we get a very quick
scene where the husband puts on a pair of mirrored sunglasses and
the Indian is reflected in the lenses, implying that they are
two people. Did I miss an obvious reason for this?

J Kitamura/Univ. of Toronto
UUCP:   {decvax,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,allegra,utzoo}!utcsri!kato