[comp.lang.smalltalk] GNU SmallTalk

rick@anduin.cs.liverpool.ac.uk (08/15/90)

Time for a trivial question, Im afraid:

Can anyone shed some light on what a 'Segmentation violation' is, or indeed
what may cause the error message 'Not in interpreter'?

On a slightly lighter note, does anyone else use GNU Smalltalk, or am I the
only one?

Advance thanks, etc. etc. etc.

raidun@intel.com (Rashid Aidun) (11/03/90)

Has anyone tried to install gnu SmalLTalk on the Sun 386i ?
What are the hardware requirements ?
Does GNU SmallTalk use X, or how does it do its graphics
if it is portable ?

Thanks.

You can just send me a direct response!

Rashid Aidun

--

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Rashid Aidun
INTEL Corporation, TestCAD
Santa Clara, California

EMAIL:    ...!intelca!mipos3!cadev4!raidun
          aidun@cadev6.intel.com

Disclaimer: The above are soley my personal opinions/questions

raidun@intel.com (Rashid Aidun) (11/03/90)

Is anyone using GNU SmallTalk ?
I got it compiled, but it seems its a text based environment
with ascii textual prompts (no windows or anything).
I compiles the X version of it, and it just sits and
does nothing.

Is there a deamon or server supposed to be running before
I run the X version of GNU SmallTalk ?

It has a file called: socket.c so I thought thats why its
just hanging, and waiting to do something.

The normal version (1.1) of GNU SMallTalk seems to just
crash every so often when I type bad stuff at the prompt.

Please post replies, and send a CC directly to me. Thanks
ahead of time.

Rashid Aidun,
INTEL Corp.

--

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

sbb@laplace.sun.com (Steve Byrne) (11/03/90)

In article <RAIDUN.90Nov2130327@cad044.intel.com> raidun@intel.com (Rashid Aidun) writes:

   Is anyone using GNU SmallTalk ?
   I got it compiled, but it seems its a text based environment
   with ascii textual prompts (no windows or anything).
   I compiles the X version of it, and it just sits and
   does nothing.

Perhaps you could be a little more explicit about what you were doing and how
you built your system.

   Is there a deamon or server supposed to be running before
   I run the X version of GNU SmallTalk ?

You need to have an X server running.

   It has a file called: socket.c so I thought thats why its
   just hanging, and waiting to do something.

I don't understand what you mean by this.

   The normal version (1.1) of GNU SMallTalk seems to just
   crash every so often when I type bad stuff at the prompt.

Please report all GNU Smalltalk bugs to bug-gnu-smalltalk@prep.ai.mit.edu.
Ideally, include a typescript of everything that you typed to cause the
problem...this will help me to track it down.

The gnu.smalltalk.bug newsgroup is gatewayed from bug-gnu-smalltalk.  You may
wish to consider adding this newsgroup to the set that you read so that
you can find out about solutions to bugs that people find with GNU Smalltalk.

   Please post replies, and send a CC directly to me. Thanks
   ahead of time.

Intel's mailer failed to deliver mail to "aidun@cadev6.intel.com" and
"raidun@intel.com".  People will have trouble CC'ing you.

   Rashid Aidun,
   INTEL Corp.

Steve

trost%reed@cse.ogi.edu (11/04/90)

In article <SBB.90Nov2154101@laplace.sun.com>, sbb@laplace.sun.com (Steve Byrne) writes:
>In article <RAIDUN.90Nov2130327@cad044.intel.com> raidun@intel.com (Rashid Aidun) writes:
>   Is there a deamon or server supposed to be running before
>   I run the X version of GNU SmallTalk ?

>You need to have an X server running.

I think Steve misunderstood.  GNU smalltalk does not put up any sort
of "this is a browser, here is a file list, go for it!" type of
interface; the X interface is still in its infancy.  The only X things
it does are little demos at the moment.