[net.movies] The movie "Clue"--Three endings?

jeff@hpcnoe.UUCP (12/10/85)

Re:  Different endings to clue.

At first I thought this was an interesting gimmick.  But, on second thought,
why would anyone see a whodunit when there is n possible outcomes?  Part
of the fun of a whodunit is to be able to guess whodunit.  But if there is
multiple endings (and I assume different murderers), why bother?

-- Jeff Wu

lonetto@phri.UUCP (Michael Lonetto) (12/17/85)

> Most likey the different regions of the country will get different versions.
> The ad did say there are three outcomes depending *where* you see it.
> --
>
> Doug Boyce   Daemen College, Amherst NY

Here, at least, *where* refers to which theater you see it in.  I saw one
listing for a triplex theater with a different version of "Clue" in each
of the theaters.

--

Michael Lonetto    UUCP:(allegra!phri!lonetto)
USNAIL: Public Health Research Institute, 455 1st Ave, NY, NY 10016

armstron@sjuvax.UUCP (L. Armstrong) (12/17/85)

> In article <823@h-sc1.UUCP> clarke@h-sc1.UUCP (cam clarke) writes:
> >I saw a television ad for the movie "Clue", which is apparently based on
> >the Parker Brothers board game, and have seen several posters for it.
> >The television ad said that the movie has "Three endings".  Does anyone
> >know what this means?  Will each theatre receive 3 copies and show them
> >in any order they please?  Or do I have to find three different theatres
> >showing it to see the different endings?  Anyone have any details on this?
> >

> >                                      -Cam Clarke
>
> Three different theatres.
> --

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR FAVORITE ENDING ***

I saw ending A , and a friend saw ending B.  From the looks of it ending A
was "better", but I guess judgement is in the eyes of the beholding
super-slueth.  Sorry, no word on ending C as of yet.

--

NAME		Len Armstrong
UUCP		{astrovax | bpa | burdvax | allegra }!sjuvax!armstron

briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (12/17/85)

>>>The television ad said that the movie has "Three endings".
>>>
>> The ad I saw said the different endings would be shown in different parts
>> of the country...
>>
>The three endings are identified in ads, and when you enter the theater,
>as A, B, and C.  My guess, is that all three endings will (at least
>eventually), make it to all parts of the country, and perhaps even
>simultaneously (different theaters?)
>
>This is a brilliant marketing ploy.  Besides drumming up more interest for
>the film, they may be able to get a portion of viewers back to see all
>three versions!

This is such a brilliant marketing ploy that I will refuse to see ANY version
of this film, as I would pay full price for an incomplete product:  They want
me to buy three tickets to see their movie!  Talk about Madison Ave. ethics!
I would encourage others to boycott this practice as well, or we will see more
of it in the future.  In fact, it's STILL not too late to boycott BIC and other
ads in theaters, it's just that the passive cows of our society are sitting
back and taking it.

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc. (usual disclaimers apply; Tektronix owns NO theaters!)

dsmith@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (12/17/85)

The film opens this week in Washington, D.C.  The ad shows which
theatres in the area are showing ending A, B and C.

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (12/18/85)

> The ad I saw said the different endings would be shown in different parts
> of the country...

All three endings are being shown at various theaters in the Portland, OR
area.  In the newspaper ads, a particular ending for the showing is identified
as A, B, C.  Example:

                           NOW PLAYING

      Koin Cinema          Clue   (Ending A)
      Grand Parkway        Clue   (Ending B)
      Rose Moyer           Clue   (Ending C)

                   -- Walt Tucker

bd@peora.UUCP (Bernie Dougan) (12/18/85)

Apparently the different endings can all be seen within an
area at different theaters.  Here in Orlando, 'CLUE' is being
shown at 4 theaters.  Two of them show ending A, one shows ending
B and the other shows ending C.
--
     Bernie Dougan
     CONCURRENT Computer Corp (a Perkin-Elmer Company)

john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) (12/23/85)

> >The three endings are identified in ads, and when you enter the theater,
> >as A, B, and C.  My guess, is that all three endings will (at least
> >eventually), make it to all parts of the country, and perhaps even
> >simultaneously (different theaters?)
> >
> >This is a brilliant marketing ploy.  Besides drumming up more interest for
> >the film, they may be able to get a portion of viewers back to see all
> >three versions!
>
> This is such a brilliant marketing ploy that I will refuse to see ANY version
> of this film, as I would pay full price for an incomplete product:  They want
> me to buy three tickets to see their movie!  Talk about Madison Ave. ethics!
> I would encourage others to boycott this practice as well, or we will see more
> of it in the future.  In fact, it's STILL not too late to boycott BIC and other
> ads in theaters, it's just that the passive cows of our society are sitting
> back and taking it.

Yes, indeed; imagine that.  These movie people make "3" movies that
are 90% identical.  Then they make up three endings.  To me this means
that even if I wanted to, I could not "solve" the supposed crime(s).
In other words, there is apparently "evidence" presented in the film
that supports ANY ending you want.  Hardly worth 5 bucks.  Perhaps they
should change their marketing campaign to "CLUE: You make up the ending!"

No thanks, I think I'll skip it.

John Buck

roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger Klorese) (12/24/85)

In article <2657@sjuvax.UUCP> armstron@sjuvax.UUCP (L. Armstrong) writes:
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR FAVORITE ENDING ***
>
>I saw ending A , and a friend saw ending B.  From the looks of it ending A
>was "better", but I guess judgement is in the eyes of the beholding
>super-slueth.  Sorry, no word on ending C as of yet.

A is the most intricate, B medium, C the most straightforward.
--
 ... "What were you expecting, rock'n'roll?"

Roger B.A. Klorese
Celerity Computing, 40 Speen St., Framingham, MA 01701, (617) 872-1772
UUCP: seismo!harvard!bu-cs!celtics!roger
ARPA: celtics!roger@bu-cs.ARPA

robbins@bnl44.UUCP (herbert) (12/30/85)

> I saw a television ad for the movie "Clue", which is apparently based on
> the Parker Brothers board game, and have seen several posters for it.
> The television ad said that the movie has "Three endings".  Does anyone
> know what this means?  Will each theatre receive 3 copies and show them
> in any order they please?  Or do I have to find three different theatres
> showing it to see the different endings?  Anyone have any details on this?
>

>                                       -Cam Clarke

Cam, as far as I know, the three
differemt endings for the movie
Clue are distributed throughout
theatres and different theatres
get the different endings.  So
to answer your questiong, yes,
if ypou want to see all different
ending, find out which theatres
have which endings and go on
from there.  I hope I was able
to help.
Dave Robbins

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (12/30/85)

In article <5500008@hpcnoe.UUCP> jeff@hpcnoe.UUCP writes:
>Re:  Different endings to clue.
>
>At first I thought this was an interesting gimmick.  But, on second thought,
>why would anyone see a whodunit when there is n possible outcomes?  Part
>of the fun of a whodunit is to be able to guess whodunit.  But if there is
>multiple endings (and I assume different murderers), why bother?
>
>-- Jeff Wu

   Maybe I'm reading more into the movie than is there (I saw ending "A" last
week and enjoyed it) but it seems to me that Lynn and Landis were parodying the
"classic" whodunnit genre, especially as done in the cinema of the '40s and
'50s.  In those films, the endings often (some say usually) were unpredictable
and completely arbitrary.  In a good whodunnit, you can pick up the clues on a
second viewing and say "Oh, of course!"  In a hack whodunnit (the kind Clue was
parodying) you can't do that because the ending is artificially "tacked on."
What better way to drive that point home than to actually tack on three com-
pletely different endings?

   In passing, did anyone else notice that the two songs played in the movie
"Shake, Rattle, and Roll" and "Sh-Boom (Life Could Be a Dream)" had not yet
been recorded in 1954?   I didn't notice any other anachronisms, so was this
just a Landis-like gag?

--Blore