[comp.lang.smalltalk] Deformed characters on 386 box

toewe@oakhill.UUCP (Fred Toewe) (11/13/90)

I saw this problem described a few days ago and hoped that an answer would
be posted. As none appeared, I am now asking the question on my own behalf.

On those display adapters using a particular graphics device, part of some
characters displayed by Digitalk's Smalltalk/286 are missing portions of the
character. In other cases, an entire menu item is missing.

My question is:  How does one fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Fred Toewe

klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (11/13/90)

In article <4182@sol1.oakhill.UUCP>, toewe@oakhill.UUCP (Fred Toewe) writes:
> I saw this problem described a few days ago and hoped that an answer would
> be posted. As none appeared, I am now asking the question on my own behalf.
>
> On those display adapters using a particular graphics device, part of some
> characters displayed by Digitalk's Smalltalk/286 are missing portions of the
> character. In other cases, an entire menu item is missing.
>
> My question is:  How does one fix this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Fred Toewe

Read my BLIT's from a previous posting

We recently discovered a problem with video cards using TSENG labs ASIC's
when running Smalltalk/V286.  The problem is that some menus have missing
rows of pixels in them, some menu items never show up on the menu, and
for most of the graphics modes selected, you get the wrong graphic mode
(e.g. INSTALLING /V286 as EGAcolor results in CGA mono displays).  The problem
so far has only been observed while running /V286, however we have been
told that it is a problem with the TSENG ASIC.  This chip is in fairly wide
use in a number of VGA cards now hitting the market.  So be forewarned!

Complain to the manufacturer of your video card!  TSENG knows they have
a problem with their video asic