[comp.lang.smalltalk] Reference to PIE

andrew@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk ("f dlj" gets my name) (11/20/90)

I have just come across a reference to PIE (Personal Information Environment),
an extension of the Smalltalk programming environment where
Smalltalk classes are represented by layered networks. The reference is:

Goldstein, I.P. and Bobrow, D.G.
A layered apporach to software design
Report CSL-80-5, Xerox, 1980

Does anyone still have a copy of this report?

Thanks in advance for any help which readers are able to offer.

  Andrew Jones,
  Dept of Computing Maths, University of Wales College of Cardiff,
  PO Box 916, Cardiff, Wales, UK, CF2 4YN.  Tel: +44 (0)222 874000 x 5537
  Internet: andrew%computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
  UUCP:     andrew@cf-cm.UUCP or ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!cf-cm!andrew
  Janet:    andrew@uk.ac.cardiff.computing-maths

mario@cs.man.ac.uk (Mario Wolczko) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov19.203102.1167@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk>,
andrew@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk ("f dlj" gets my name) writes:
> I have just come across a reference to PIE (Personal Information
Environment),
> an extension of the Smalltalk programming environment where
> Smalltalk classes are represented by layered networks. The reference is:
>
> Goldstein, I.P. and Bobrow, D.G.
> A layered apporach to software design
> Report CSL-80-5, Xerox, 1980

This might be easier to obtain:
	A layered approach to software design,
	I. P. Goldstein and D. G. Bobrow,
	in "Interactive Programming Environments", edited by D. R.
	Barstow, H. E. Shrobe and E. Sandewall, McGraw-Hill, 1984,
	pp387-413, 0-07-003885-6.
It's actually an excellent book in its own right, collecting together
many important papers.

Mario Wolczko

   ______      Dept. of Computer Science   Internet:      mario@cs.man.ac.uk
 /~      ~\    The University              uucp:      mcsun!ukc!man.cs!mario
(    __    )   Manchester M13 9PL          JANET:         mario@uk.ac.man.cs
 `-':  :`-'    U.K.                        Tel: +44-61-275 6146  (FAX: 6280)
____;  ;_____________the mushroom project___________________________________

axel@well.sf.ca.us (Axel Kramer) (11/22/90)

More paper references for PIE:

Goldstein, I.P. and Bobrow, D.G., "Descriptions for a Programming
Environment,"
Proceedings of the First Annual Conference of the National
Association for Artificial Intelligence, Stanford, CA, August 1980.

Goldstein, I.P. and Bobrow, D.G., "Extending Object Oriented
Programming in Smalltalk," Proceedings of the Lisp Conference,
Stanford, Ca, August 1980.

Bobrow, D.G. and Goldstein, I.P., "Representing Design Alternatives,
"Proceedings of the Conference on Artifical Intelligence and the Simulation of
Behavior," Amsterdam, July, 1980.

(All of above + 1) can be found in:
An Experimental Description-Based Programming Environment:
Four Reports. By Ira Goldstein and Daniel Bobrow, Xerox PARC, CSL-81-3, March
1981.

I do not know whether the Xerox PARC TIC still has copies of that
 report.  It is really interesting stuff, sad that it got neglected for so
long.

	axel

andrew@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Andrew Jones) (11/22/90)

Earlier I asked whether anyone still had a copy of the report:

In article <1928@m1.cs.man.ac.uk> mario@cs.man.ac.uk (Mario Wolczko) writes:
>This might be easier to obtain:
>	A layered approach to software design,
>	I. P. Goldstein and D. G. Bobrow,
>	in "Interactive Programming Environments", edited by D. R.
>	Barstow, H. E. Shrobe and E. Sandewall, McGraw-Hill, 1984,
>	pp387-413, 0-07-003885-6.

A number of people have kindly sent me this alternative reference, which
may be of interest to other net-readers.

bobatk@microsoft.UUCP (Bob ATKINSON) (11/27/90)

>Goldstein, I.P. and Bobrow, D.G.
>A layered apporach to software design
>Report CSL-80-5, Xerox, 1980
>
>Does anyone still have a copy of this report?

Phone or write to

	Xerox PARC
	3333 Coyote Hill Road
	Palo Alto, CA
	94304
	415-494-4000

and ask for a copy of the report. They give them away free.

	Bob Atkinson