[comp.lang.smalltalk] Volume 2 of Inside Smalltalk is out

mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu (David McIntyre) (11/30/90)

I just got a copy of Volume 2 of Inside Smalltalk by LaLonde and
Pugh.  It has a green cover, and has ISBN 0-13-465964-3, 1991,
by Prentice Hall.

I mention this because someone out there was wondering if this
book was available yet.

				-Dave

Dave "mr question" McIntyre          |    "....say you're thinking about a plate
mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu           |     of shrimp.....and someone says to
office : 518-276-8633                |     you 'plate,' or 'shrimp'......"

dik@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Mr R. M. Bentley) (12/04/90)

Could someone tell me if Volume II of Inside Smalltalk is relevant to
Smalltalk-80 release 4 ?  We have Volume I but are currently awaiting
release 4 to start a couple of research projects.

Is the book available yet in the U.K. or only in the States ?

Thanks in advance,

Richard Bentley

+------------------------------------+----------------------------+
| uucp :  ...!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!dik   |   Department of Computing  |
| arpa :  dik%lancs.comp@ucl.cs      |   University of Lancaster  |
| janet:  dik@uk.ac.lancs.comp       |   Bailrigg, Lancaster      |
| tel  :  (44) 524 65201 x3119       |   LA1 4YR,   UK.           |
+------------------------------------+----------------------------+

johnson@m.cs.uiuc.edu (12/05/90)

Unfortunately, Volume II of Inside Smalltalk discusses the
version of MVC that predates release 4.  The Smalltalk
community has needed a reference for MVC for years.  As
soon as somebody goes and writes one, they change MVC.
I hope that ParcPlace has some good documentation!

For those of us still before release 4, Volume II is a
very good book.  Also, it will be an important historical
record, since MVC has had such a big impact on object-oriented
design.  I wish I had it five years ago!

Ralph Johnson

dbuck@ccs.carleton.ca (Dave Buck) (12/05/90)

In article <1119@dcl-vitus.comp.lancs.ac.uk> dik@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Mr R. M. Bentley) writes:
>Could someone tell me if Volume II of Inside Smalltalk is relevant to
>Smalltalk-80 release 4 ?  We have Volume I but are currently awaiting
>release 4 to start a couple of research projects.
>
>Is the book available yet in the U.K. or only in the States ?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Richard Bentley

"Inside Smalltalk II" is literally a continuation of "Inside Smalltalk I".
In fact, it was originally designed as one book until it got too big.  As
far as the authors were concerned, the two volumes were finished and delivered
to the publisher at about the same time.  As a result, there was no way they
could have included any Smalltalk 4 information.  I wouldn't be surprised,
however, if you see a JOOP article (Journal of Object Oriented Programming)
on Smalltalk release 4 in the near future.  The authors of Inside Smalltalk
also write the "Smalltalk" column in JOOP.

Incidently, the second book contains details on the Smalltalk windowing
system and the MVC paradigm.

David Buck
dbuck@ccs.carleton.ca

| David Buck                    | My employer is not responsible for|
| dbuck@ccs.carleton.ca         | my opinions.  I'm not even sure   |
|                               | I am.                             |