[comp.lang.smalltalk] Application delivery in Smalltalk

objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Peter Goodall) (12/09/90)

nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:

>For me, the main drawback to Smalltalk is closed nature of the system.
>It's not possible to produce "double-clickable" applications on the
>Mac in either V/Mac or ST-80 (does V/PM solve this?).  Why should
>anyone write nifty little programs when he can share them only with
>others who invest in Smalltalk?  It's going on 10 years since the 1981
>August Byte, and Smalltalk is *just beginning* to come out of its
>shell a little bit (V/PM and ParcPlace's runtime).

>Charles Allen			Internet: cca@physics.purdue.edu
>Department of Physics			  nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu
>Purdue University		HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
>West Lafayette, IN  47907	talknet:  317/494-9776

Smalltalk/VPM does let you produce a stand-alone .exe which can be distributed
without royalty payments.

There are two executables involved in development. The file vpm.exe links
in the development system and also calls the v.exe file which is the
stand-alone image and executable. When you want to deliver a system, you
release and perhaps rename the v.exe file, and package it with the
non-development dynamic link libraries. Much the same as any other
application delivery under Presentation Manager. From what little information
I can find the Smalltalk/VWindows system will be much the same and it has
been suggested, source compatible.

Here perhaps is the solution to the Windows/PM development dilema.
Develop your system for one, and you have a deliverable for both.

The /VPM system is also a bit more sophisticated in the level of
information given by the browser. But I sure do miss the huge library of
code to read in Smalltalk-80.

Peter Goodall

Smalltalk Systems Consultant
ObjecTech P/L