[comp.lang.smalltalk] OODB for Smalltalk V ?

MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) (12/09/90)

As applications become serious, internal memory is getting a bit tight.
Are there OODB add-ons available for Smalltalk V/286...? Anything within
the range of virtual objects residing transparently on disk, appearing
like normal image-objects from the applications view, to full-featured
OODBs with concurrency control, standardized DDL and query languages,
integrity checking, transaction based processing, etc.. would be very
interesting. Any pointer to public domain or commercial products would
be highly appreciated.
Thank you very much -
Thomas
-------
Thomas Muhr, Technical University of Berlin, BITNET: muhrth@db0tui11
   Project ATLAS - Computer Based Tools for Qualitative Research
         "Computers, like every technology, are a vehicle
      for the transformation of tradition." (WINOGRAD/FLORES)

objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Peter Goodall) (12/11/90)

MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) writes:

>As applications become serious, internal memory is getting a bit tight.
>Are there OODB add-ons available for Smalltalk V/286...? Anything within
>the range of virtual objects residing transparently on disk, appearing
>like normal image-objects from the applications view, to full-featured
>OODBs with concurrency control, standardized DDL and query languages,
>integrity checking, transaction based processing, etc.. would be very
>interesting. Any pointer to public domain or commercial products would
>be highly appreciated.
>Thank you very much -
>Thomas
>-------
>Thomas Muhr, Technical University of Berlin, BITNET: muhrth@db0tui11
>   Project ATLAS - Computer Based Tools for Qualitative Research
>         "Computers, like every technology, are a vehicle
>      for the transformation of tradition." (WINOGRAD/FLORES)

I had the pleasure of talking to Jeff McKenna at the Pacific Tools'90
conference in Sydney recently. He suggested that the personal OODB
was a market niche which needed filling.

Gemstone from ServioLogic seems to be the best fit for Smalltalk, and
would be a good model for the Personal OODB. The problem is that you require a
SUN or VAX as a server. There are clinet interfaces for /V286 /VMAC and
Smaltalk-80. I think that a version using an OS/2 server would solve a lot of
problems for us Smalltalkers.

I am interested in using it to solve the concurrency problems we encounter when
trying to get 20 -30 /V286,VPM users to share data on a network.

Jacob Stein also gave a talk at Tools'90. The undercurrent of which seemed
to be that the great difficulty in preserving integrity was having to
provide an interface to C++, C etc which don't preserve referential integrity
as an intrinsic propety of the language.

Why not a Gemstone with only a Smalltalk interface for PM!!!!

Peter Goodall

Smalltalk Systems Consultant
ObjecTech P/L
162 Burns Bay Rd,