[comp.lang.smalltalk] OODB for Smalltalk V and news about ST/V Win

MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) (12/11/90)

I just received a letter from Digitalk answering a bundle of questions I had.
I will cite some of the answers:
"third-party developers have classes of objects available for accesing dBase,
Btrieve or SQL databases. Object Databases is developing their object-oriented
database so that it can be accessed by Smalltalk /V PM."
Additional information concerned availability and features of Smalltalk/V Win3
Shipping starts in January. 100% code compatibilty to ST/V PM. System require-
ments (including Windows) is 4 MB (they hope to reduce it to 3). It compiles
stand-alone .EXE files with no royalties to be paid for applications.
It makes full use of all Windows features like DLL and DDE. It is fully CUA-
and SAA-compliant. "If you want, you can execute Smalltalk code from within
a W4W document".
In April/May there will be an interface editor available called "Look & Feel".
No more dispatcher/pane-stuff but a class library resembling the Windows-IO.
Price for the system (I assume it to be identical for PM and Windows):
$ 499.95
$ 199.98 educational account for university and schools.
- Thomas
-------
Thomas Muhr, Technical University of Berlin, BITNET: muhrth@db0tui11
   Project ATLAS - Computer Based Tools for Qualitative Research
         "Computers, like every technology, are a vehicle
      for the transformation of tradition." (WINOGRAD/FLORES)

taylord@Software.Mitel.COM (Don Taylor) (12/12/90)

In article <90345.122239MUHRTH@DB0TUI11.BITNET> MUHRTH@tubvm.cs.tu-berlin.de (Thomas Muhr) writes:

>Price for the system (I assume it to be identical for PM and Windows):
>$ 499.95
>$ 199.98 educational account for university and schools.
>- Thomas

Did they quote a price for upgrading from V/286?

Thx.  Don.

--
Don Taylor (613)-592-2122 x 3007	 mitel!taylord@uunet.uu.net
Mitel Corp.				 ...!uunet!mitel!taylord

gened@gssc.UUCP (Gene Daniel) (12/13/90)

In article <5711@taylord> taylord@taylord (Don Taylor) writes:

>Did they quote a price for upgrading from V/286?
>
>Thx.  Don.

I understand the upgrade price is going to be $250.00. I got this information
from a discussion in the Digitalk forum on Compuserve.

--
Gene Daniel			   | gened@gss.com
Graphic Software Systems, Inc.     |       or