[comp.lang.smalltalk] Public Domain Smalltalk For X Windows

torsten@unisql.UUCP (Torsten Weirich) (12/15/90)

an X11 interface or an X11 interface for Little Smalltalk.  I need to
try some experiments and don't have the time to write an interface
to Little Smalltalk.  As this is only a one-time need, I can't justify
the expense of ST-80 from ParcPlace.  Any suggestions are welcome.
Please respond via email...I'll post results if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance,

Torsten

| Torsten Weirich                                               |
| UniSQL                                                        |
| 9390 Research Blvd.         "In my next life, I want to be    |
| Kaleido II, Ste. 220         a house cat!"                    |
| Austin, TX 78759                                              |
| Tel: (512) 343-7297                                           |
| Email: execu!sequoia!unisql!weirich@cs.utexas.edu             |
| Disclaimer:  something about "plausible deniability"...       |

Paul.Regenhardt@p0.f500.n5000.z200.METRONET.ORG (Paul Regenhardt) (12/23/90)

GNU smalltalk has a simple X Windows interface along with the
capability to call any C routines.  As far as I know GNU's
COPYLEFT is still in place (although there are rumors that they
are going to remove it, unfortuneately these are unconfirmed).

Anyway, back to the X interface...the GNU version lacks any of the
browsers, but does contain all of the basics.  If you did any work
with it, I'd certainly be interested in hearing.  The author, Steve
Byrne, is also readily accessible and very freindly fellow to talk to.
He hasn't done any work with it recently, but he the last time I talked
to him he indicated that he would be interested in this type of work.

I hope that helps you out...if you do find another solution please let
us know!  I'm faced with a similar predicament, but I'm currently
looking at Objective C.  It has a $9500 price tag for the developers
kit (Compiler, Foundation Library, X Graphics Library, and browser),
and there run time fee if you use the Graphics ($10,000 for the first
1000 copies, $4.50/copy thereafter).  The big interest for me is that
they have a public domain program that converts Digitalk's flavor or
of Smalltalk into Objective C (they claim 80%).
--- ZMailQ 1.12 (QuickBBS)
 * Origin: Jaguar's NetWorking Labs, (303)377-2371 HST/v.32 (200:5000/500.0)

Paul Regenhardt - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Paul.Regenhardt@p0.f500.n5000.z200.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!500.0!Paul.Regenhardt