[comp.lang.smalltalk] Help! Smalltalk-80 screen lock problem on Sun 4/470.

whitney@saturn.sdsu.edu (Roger Whitney) (01/18/91)

	I am using Smalltalk-80 v2.5 on both Macintosh computers and a
Sun 4/470 Sparc station running Sun OS 4.1.  While Smalltalk on the Mac
works fine, I have a problem with it on the Sun. Smalltalk on the Sun
locks up the screen.  The mouse still moves around the Smalltalk window,
but will not leave the window. Control-C and control-shift-C have no
effect.  A far as I can determine no input from the keyboard or
mouse has any effect. I have no idea what causes the problem.
When the problem first started the screen would freeze very
frequently, every few minutes.  I use open windows, but switched
to sunview, with no change. I tried a new image, and tried to
recompile a new VM, to no avail.  Running Smalltalk in the background
"seemed" to "fix" the problem.  However the problem is now back.
The screen does not seem to freeze as often, but that is hard to
measure. I do 90% of my work on the mac, then move it to the Sun.
It is time to start more of the work on the Sun, so it is time
to solve the problem.  Does anyone have any idea what the problem is
and how to solve it? Thanks in advance for any help.

roger whitney
whitney@sdsu.edu

shackelf@tlab2.cs.unc.edu (Douglas Shackelford) (01/19/91)

In article <1991Jan18.004452.29357@ucselx.sdsu.edu> whitney@saturn.sdsu.edu (Roger Whitney) writes:

>	I am using Smalltalk-80 v2.5 on both Macintosh computers and a
>Sun 4/470 Sparc station running Sun OS 4.1.  While Smalltalk on the Mac
>works fine, I have a problem with it on the Sun. Smalltalk on the Sun
>locks up the screen.  The mouse still moves around the Smalltalk window,
>but will not leave the window. Control-C and control-shift-C have no
>effect.  A far as I can determine no input from the keyboard or
>
>roger whitney
>whitney@sdsu.edu

I have seen exactly the same problem, but only on Sun 4's.  I
have a very crude method that seems to fix the symptom, but
the problem comes back soon.  This is, at best, a last resort.

Do something like this:

	kill -STOP PID
	kill -CONT PID

where PID is the process id of the smalltalk process.  I had
to RLOGIN to the machine in order to do it.  It works for me
but as I said, the problem comes back quickly.

--Doug Shackelford
shackelf@cs.unc.edu