[comp.lang.smalltalk] translator from smalltalk to c++

zliu@argosy.UUCP (Zaide (Edward) Liu) (01/25/91)

Is there any translator which converts smalltalk to c++?  If so, Would
somebody give me information on where I could get them?
Thanks

bothner@sevenlayer.cs.wisc.edu (Per Bothner) (01/26/91)

In article <859@argosy.UUCP>, zliu@argosy.UUCP (Zaide (Edward) Liu) writes:
>Is there any translator which converts smalltalk to c++?  If so, Would
>somebody give me information on where I could get them?

This doesn't quite answer the question, but:

I'm working on a high-level programming language (with closures,
backtracking, objects, run-time typing, abstract sequence types).
It is implemented in C++. A major part of the work is a multi-language
run-time system using C++ classes in a Smalltalk-like way, i.e.
everything is descended from a root class. I haven't paid
any attention to mimicing the specifics of Smalltalk classes,
since I prefer a more abstract/functional way of doing things,
but the necessary modifications shouldn't be too hard.
I do have a Scheme/Lisp parser, and implement many of the
types and operations needed for Scheme and Common Lisp.
Ultimately, I'd like to have a common run-time system
for C++, my language (which includes shell-like functionality),
Scheme, Common Lisp, and perhaps Smalltalk and some APL dialect.

Also part of my project is a compiler from a parse tree
to C++. Thus I can compile either my own language or
Scheme/Lisp into C++. Adding a Smalltalk parser should
be easy. The compiler isn't really usable right now, and
I'm waiting for some g++ extensions (meta-classes) before
I spend too much time working on it.

Please write me if you're interested. The code is/will be
available under GNU Copyleft. I'm hoping for a general
release this summer of the first public version. It will
include almost all of Scheme, some Common Lisp stuff, and a
functional shell which should subsume bash or ksh (using
a slightly non-standard syntax). Brave people are
certainly welcome to look at the code before the release.
This work is done on my own time, not the University's.
--
	--Per Bothner
bothner@cs.wisc.edu Computer Sciences Dept, U. of Wisconsin-Madison

timm@runx.oz.au (Tim Menzies) (01/29/91)

In article <859@argosy.UUCP> zliu@zuhl.UUCP () writes:
>Is there any translator which converts smalltalk to c++?  If so, Would
>somebody give me information on where I could get them?
>Thanks

See "Smalltalk application compilers", Proceedings of Tools Pacific,
Sydney, Nov 1990. Paper was by Borek R.B. Vokach-Brodsky and
Mario I. Wolczko. They do not describe commercially available software.
However, they survey the field  and give implementation tips.

--
 _--_|\  Tim Menzies (timm@runxtsa.oz)        "REWARD OFFERED for information
/      \ HiSoft Expert Systems Group,	       leading to the return of one