[net.movies] The Rutles

marcos@sdchema.UUCP (David A. Pearlman) (12/21/85)

Hey there netland! Anybody still remember the Rutles movie, aired on
network T.V. (yes-sir-ee-bob!) back in 1977?  More importantly,
has anyone ever seen this movie for rent anywhere? I remember seeing
an advertisement a couple of years ago offering the video (from
Mike Nesmith's (hey, hey we're the...) video marketing division,
I think), but I've never seen it for rent anywhere.

BTW, for those unfamiliar with the Rutles, they were an oft-overlooked
English group who were big in the '60's, and had absolutely no
influence on the music of such luminaries as Mick Jagger and
Paul Simon :-). A real delight, if you can find it, is the bootlegged
jam session between the Rutles and the Masked Marauders. Dynamite! :-)

						 David ("Dr. DAP") Pearlman

allison@convexs.UUCP (12/24/85)

> Hey there netland! Anybody still remember the Rutles movie, aired on
> network T.V. (yes-sir-ee-bob!) back in 1977?  More importantly,
> has anyone ever seen this movie for rent anywhere?  [...]

Yes!  I have actually rented it in Dallas.  I don't have any information on
who actually made the tape, but if you really want to know, call Sound
Warehouse at (214) 369-4080.

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (12/27/85)

In article <517@sdchema.sdchema.UUCP> marcos@sdchema.UUCP (David A. Pearlman) writes:
>Hey there netland! Anybody still remember the Rutles movie, aired on
>network T.V. (yes-sir-ee-bob!) back in 1977?

I saw it a month or so ago. A truly delightful satire. The songs were
so true to the Beatles style it seemed as if they were written by
McCartney and Lennon. But they were true musical ripoffs in the best
sense of the word. Really worth studying musicologically, as they
brought out the different characteristics that made the Beatle's music,
and pointed them out with clever musical hyperbole. Even the drummer
in the ripoff group had Ringo's distinct early style nailed. This is a
classic that every Beatles fan or student must see.

I have not seen it advertised for rent, but I'll check at my local
video hangout next time I'm there. The movie runs on independent
stations occasionally in the U. S.; the last time it ran here in
Memphis was on the anniversary of the murder of John Lennon. Talk
about bad programming taste!

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (01/02/86)

In article <636@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:
>In article <517@sdchema.sdchema.UUCP> marcos@sdchema.UUCP (David A. Pearlman) writes:
>>Hey there netland! Anybody still remember the Rutles movie, aired on
>>network T.V. (yes-sir-ee-bob!) back in 1977?
>
>I saw it a month or so ago. A truly delightful satire. The songs were
>so true to the Beatles style it seemed as if they were written by
>McCartney and Lennon. But they were true musical ripoffs in the best
>sense of the word. Really worth studying musicologically, as they
>brought out the different characteristics that made the Beatle's music,
>and pointed them out with clever musical hyperbole. Even the drummer
>in the ripoff group had Ringo's distinct early style nailed. This is a
>classic that every Beatles fan or student must see.

   And, every Beatles fan should buy (or tape) the album!  It's on a Warner
Bros. subsidiary label (I think) and is out of print, so get out to those
used record stores.   All the songs were written by Neil Innes, (of Bonzo Dog
Doo Dah Band fame, also did music at some Monty Python live shows) who has
worked with the Beatles (the Bonzo ... Band was in "Magical Mystery Tour" as
the band in the club) and later with Paul McCartney (who produced some Bonzo
records in the 70s, shortly before the group died for being too intelligent in
their humor).

   "I'm not the kind of guy who likes to play  Big Brother
    But I've just seen your date outside, he's with  another
    I saw you both come in and clearly you're not meant for him so
    Please, Please Hold My Hand."

--Blore

marcos@sdchema.UUCP (David A. Pearlman) (01/06/86)

In article <1008@udenva.UUCP>, showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) writes:
> In article <636@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:
> >In article <517@sdchema.sdchema.UUCP> marcos@sdchema.UUCP (David A. Pearlman) writes:
> >>Hey there netland! Anybody still remember the Rutles movie, aired on
> >>network T.V. (yes-sir-ee-bob!) back in 1977?

> >I saw it a month or so ago. A truly delightful satire. The songs were
> >so true to the Beatles style it seemed as if they were written by
> >McCartney and Lennon...
>

>    And, every Beatles fan should buy (or tape) the album!  It's on a Warner
> Bros. subsidiary label (I think) and is out of print, so get out to those

It was indeed issued on Warner's Brother records (not a subsidiary, unless
you consider "Banana Records" (the Rutles' mythical record label) a subsidiary).
And it is indeed out of print, as far as I know. However, there were oodles
of these babies available as cut-outs around 1980 (I remember ordering
several cartons of them for about $0.75 each from "Sounds Good" distributors
back when I was managing my college bookstore's record department). So they
should still be available *SOMEWHERE*. And, by all means get one if
you're a fan of the Beatles...Not only are the parodies great, but the
L.P. comes with a multi-page full-color booklet giving the full history
of the Rutles. It even includes interviews with Paul Simon and Mick Jagger!

     A few other worthwhile goodies for collectors: A promotion-only 12"
on yellow vinyl of a couple of the songs from the L.P. (with a nice picture
sleeve); the press kit which came with review copies of the album (containing
some great Beatles parody glossies, including one of the Beatles first Life
magazine cover); and the album "The Rutland Dirty Weekend" by Eric Idle and
Neil Innes (Passport/ABC records 1976(?), out of print). This album contains
the first vinyl appearance of the Rutles (and is pretty funny overall...).

> used record stores.   All the songs were written by Neil Innes, (of Bonzo Dog
> Doo Dah Band fame, also did music at some Monty Python live shows) who has
> worked with the Beatles (the Bonzo ... Band was in "Magical Mystery Tour" as
> the band in the club) and later with Paul McCartney (who produced some Bonzo
> records in the 70s, shortly before the group died for being too intelligent in
> their humor).

Actually, the group worked with McCartney in the late '60's (1968, I believe).
McCartney, in fact, wrote and produced the song "I'm the Urban Spaceman" for
the Bonzos, which was a big hit in England. He did so under the pseudonym
of Apollo C. Vermuth (sp?). A good retrospective of the Bonzo's, complete
with excellent liner notes, is available: "History of the Bonzos". It's
a two L.P. set, available on United Artists (now Capital). Neil Innes has
also issued several solo albums, and been a member of the groups "The World"
and "Grimms".

                                            David ("Dr. DAP") Pearlman

"And all this science I don't understand...
 It's just my job five days a week." -- R. Dwight

In article <524@sdchema.sdchema.UUCP>, marcos@sdchema.UUCP (David A. Pearlman) writes:

> Actually, the group worked with McCartney in the late '60's (1968, I believe).
> McCartney, in fact, wrote and produced the song "I'm the Urban Spaceman" for
                      -----
> the Bonzos, which was a big hit in England. He did so under the pseudonym
> Apollo C. Vermuth (sp?) [...]
>
>                                                   David ("Dr. DAP") Pearlman

Sorry, I got a little over-zealous there. He produced the song; I don't think
he wrote it. --- DAP

ebm@ingres.ARPA (Grady Toss) (01/07/86)

In article <524@sdchema.sdchema.UUCP> David A. Pearlman writes:

> Not only are the parodies great, but the L.P. comes with a multi-page
> full-color booklet giving the full history of the Rutles.

In fact, the stickers on the shrink wrap of the package said that the record
was FREE with the purchase of the full-color booklet.

... gt