[comp.lang.smalltalk] SmallTalk on Sun4/260

schmidt@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Evan Schmidt) (02/08/91)

Hello Smallspeakers,
	I asked for various places to find smalltalk yesterday. Today
I a few replies; thanks. I am wondering though if I compiled it
correctly. I have the GNU version 1.1. When I do the make install it
doesnt come back with:

	"GC flipping to space 1...copied space = 100.0%...done"
	Smalltalk 1.1 Ready

	st>

but rather it comes back with:

	"GC flipping to space 1...copied space = 25.0%...done"
	Smalltalk 1.1 Ready

	st>

Is this alright?

Evan Schmidt
Graduate Research Assistant
West Virginia University
schmidt@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu

sbb@laplace.eng.sun.com (Steve Byrne) (02/08/91)

   From: schmidt@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Evan Schmidt)
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk
   Date: 7 Feb 91 16:56:55 GMT

   Hello Smallspeakers,
	   I asked for various places to find smalltalk yesterday. Today
   I a few replies; thanks. I am wondering though if I compiled it
   correctly. I have the GNU version 1.1. When I do the make install it
   doesnt come back with:

	   "GC flipping to space 1...copied space = 100.0%...done"
	   Smalltalk 1.1 Ready

	   st>

   but rather it comes back with:

	   "GC flipping to space 1...copied space = 25.0%...done"
	   Smalltalk 1.1 Ready

	   st>

This is perfectly fine.  The 100.0% that you were expecting to see was from the
manual, right?  I think it was a left over from the 1.0 manual, and doesn't
mean that there's anything wrong.  Changes in the 1.1 release made it
permissable to have less than 100% copying (actually, this is the percentage of
live data, so you'd want it to be much less than 100%).  The next time
Smalltalk GC flips, you'll see that the actual space in use is more like 5%,
but in that version, method contexts are created for each non-primitive method
activation, so it eats up space quite quickly.  Version 1.2 only creates method
contexts when it has to, so the time between GC flips is much greater.

Steve

PS: I don't know how other folks on comp.lang.smalltalk feel about bug reports
for GNU Smalltalk, but just in case they are sensitive about it, you should
probably mail bug reports or comments about GNU Smalltalk to
bug-gnu-smalltalk@prep.ai.mit.edu.  This gets automatically posted on the
gnu.smalltalk.bug newsgroup for other GNU Smalltalkers to see and respond to.