[comp.lang.smalltalk] International Smalltalk Association

Paul.Regenhardt@p0.f500.n5000.z200.METRONET.ORG (Paul Regenhardt) (01/28/91)

From my NETMAIL I would like to confirm that these people have been
added to the International Smalltalk Association (ISA) mailing list:
Ethan Young, David Carlson, David Gould, Simon Lewis, and Klaus Albert.
I regret that I could not add Weijun Wang due to an incorrect surface
mail addresses.  I'm afraid that tonight is the cut off point for the
first ISA newsletter (after posting this I'll be printing up labels
for the newsletter distribution).  Naturally you can still join ISA,
just let me know that you would like to be a member and send me your
surface mailing address, email address (just in case), and what
version of Smalltalk you are using.

To those who have inquired about the 1st edition of the Public
Smalltalk Code and asked if they could send cash instead of a self
addressed stamped envelope. . . .please DO NOT send cash!  ISA is not
yet encorporated, and I'm sure that receiving cash would only lead to
trouble.  I have received mail from some people who say that they
cannot get U.S. postage.  Does anyone know what can be done about
this?  Thanks in advance!
                       Making Smalltalk in Denver -- Paul Regenhardt
--- QuickBBS 2.75 Ovr (Gamma-1)
 * Origin: Jaguar's NetWorking Labs, (303)377-2371 HST/v.32 (200:5000/500.0)

Paul Regenhardt - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Paul.Regenhardt@p0.f500.n5000.z200.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!500.0!Paul.Regenhardt

Paul.Regenhardt@p0.f500.n5000.z200.METRONET.ORG (Paul Regenhardt) (02/10/91)

I would like to confirm that these people have been added to the
International Smalltalk Association (ISA): Marco Papa, Marshall
Harris, Bjorn Remseth, Gregor Engelmeier, Peter Kriens, Keith Tizzard,
Ross Huitt, Eric Kiebler, Steve Beisner, Mr. Weijun Wang, Lionel
Guillou, Erik Sparre, Alan Knight, Stan Skelton, Will Estes, S.
Sridhar, Mats Larsson Jill E. Nicola, and Brian Blau.

Michael S. Kerstetter:  Thank you for your recommendations for the ISA
Charter, I will bring up your concerns at the February 12th meeting.

International members who would like to receive the 1st Edition of the
Smalltalk Public Code can use International Reply coupons (IRC) for the
return postage.  A reminder: to receive the 1st edition send me a self
addressed stamped envelope and a IBM DOS formatted disk (3.5" or 5.25"
low or high density).  Many thanks to Auke and Peter Smith for clarify
the usage of IRCs.

Will Estes writes:
> Does anyone know of an advanced Smalltalk group meeting in the
> San Francisco Bay Area?  I'm looking for a group of senior
> Smalltalk people who can help get me up the curve quickly.
You might try the Northbay Smalltalk Users group by contacting
David Freihofner at (415)362-4283.  It's the only group I know
of in the area.

Paul Regenhardt
6675 S. Fundy Ct.
Aurora, CO 80016-0012
USA
--- QuickBBS 2.75 Ovr (Gamma-1)
 * Origin: Jaguar's NetWorking Labs, (303)377-2371 HST/v.32 (200:5000/500.0)

Paul Regenhardt - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Paul.Regenhardt@p0.f500.n5000.z200.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!500.0!Paul.Regenhardt

Paul.Regenhardt@p0.f500.n5000.z200.METRONET.ORG (Paul Regenhardt) (02/10/91)

I wish that I had time to respond to all of the EMAIL I've received
individually!  Because so many questions are the same, I am responding
to everybody with one message.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  Many people have asked, what is ISA
and how much does it cost?  ISA is the International Smalltalk
Association, which is currently free (although there may be a
membership fee in the future -- one of the issues to be decided).  The
newsletter has so far been funded by myself and Simulation Sciences
Inc., neither of which are promoting any Smalltalk related products or
seeking recompense.

How does the membership work?  We don't really know yet as we are still
trying to establish a charter for the organization.  The preliminary
plan is to have ISA on two levels.  Regional groups which meet and help
the users in a variety of ways similar to the user groups that exist
now (in fact we expect many of the existing groups to just switch to
become a regional group).  The International Level which will organize
the regional groups and divy up the tasks to large for any one group to
handle.  This will provide a tie-in for all of the regional groups,
giving the regional groups a much larger base of information.

Do I have to be present at an ISA meeting to cast a vote?  Absolutely
not!  Before each meeting an agenda of that meeting will be published.
Users can vote on any item in that agenda, or make statements by
mailing them to the secretary before the meeting.  Similarly you can
propose new business for the next meeting.

I have been very impressed by the quantity of people who have requested
to become members of ISA from this source alone.  But I have a question
about the quality of these people.  ISA is there to support it's
members, but it also depends on the support of it's members.  In a
isn't really true.  ISA members are expected to give back to the
organization.  Without this kind of support, ISA will go the way of the
previous attempts at organizing the Smalltalk User groups.  So will
ISA survive?  The odds are very much against it.  But if you get
involved by volunteering for committees and writing articles for the
newsletter then it will not only survive, but flourish.