To: taylord@Software.Mitel.COM
Subject: V/WINDOWS
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 91 16:59 EST

We have beta release 0.8. It is more like PM than 286. You will like it. The
envirnoment is much better. still a few bugs I hear but basically its a sound
product.

You don't need the SDK. Although since you can interface to SDK tools, you
might want it later.

Not sure how much memory but my guess is that 4Mb would be plenty

Their manuals are always production quality (in my experience)

Class library is larger but due to integration with Windows not PP stuff.

IBM is bankrolling Digitalk not Whitewater! There is enormous interest in
V/PM from major companies. V/Windows will have more of a pc-user followig,g
I suspect. Support for DDE between applications in Windows is excellent.
Window paradigm is much better than 286 MPD.
Hope this is useful.

--
Don Taylor (613)-592-2122 x 3007	 mitel!taylord@uunet.uu.net
Mitel Corp.				 ...!uunet!mitel!taylord

michael.daly@canrem.uucp (michael daly) (02/15/91)

Don Taylor ( mitel!taylord@uunet.uu.net ) wrote:

DT>The only reply that I received to my enquiry about ST/V for Windows
DT>leads me to conclude that VERY few people have seen it yet.  Sigh...
DT>I guess I will have to buy it sight unseen.

I spoke to Digitalk on Feb 4 and they said it would ship on the 7th.  It
was finally released on the 12th.  I should have my copy by the 21st or
so.  I think a number of us have been waiting on the edge of our seats
for this.
---
 ~ DeLuxe}ab #289 ~
--
Canada Remote Systems.  Toronto, Ontario
NorthAmeriNet Host

ergo@netcom.COM (Isaac Rabinovitch) (02/15/91)

In <6448@taylord> taylord@Software.Mitel.COM (Don Taylor) writes:

>The only reply that I received to my enquiry about ST/V for Windows
>leads me to conclude that VERY few people have seen it yet.  Sigh... I
>guess I will have to buy it sight unseen.
True, but Digitalk has a 30-day return policy.

>Copy of reply follows: (because the guy who sent it to me is a beta
>tester I have deleted his attribution).

>You don't need the SDK. Although since you can interface to SDK tools, you
>might want it later.

The new Borland product might be a cheaper (and maybe better)
alternative.  Also, many other language publishers are working on
Windows products.

>Their manuals are always production quality (in my experience)
They are pretty good, but I wish they'd use en-dashes in their source
code examples.

>. Support for DDE between applications in Windows is excellent.
Indeed, when I saw it, they were using a Smalltalk-to-Word link that
let them use Word in place of the Smalltalk System Transcript.
Supposedly, one can replace WordBasic with Smalltalk as a Word
macro language!
>Window paradigm is much better than 286 MPD.
When I asked about compatibility with V/286 and V/Mac, they said the
one problem would be that they'ved abandoned the MPD paradigm for a
Windows/PM paradigm.  Fine with me:  I never could master the MPD
approach to user interfacing.

--

	ergo@netcom.com 			Isaac Rabinovitch
	netcom!ergo@apple.com			Silicon Valley, CA

   (specific statement withheld at this time for operational reasons)