[comp.lang.smalltalk] smalltalk compiler

brian@student.ecok.edu (Ridgway Brian) (02/20/91)

I'm interested in purchasing an Object Oriented
compiler. I wonder where I could pick up a Smalltalk
compiler and how much it runs.

brian

verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) (02/26/91)

I don't have really current prices.. but I can give you ballpark
figures.  The first question is what kind of machine do you want to
run on?  Well... what machine do you want an OO language to run on?
ParcPlace Objectworks\ST80 (the premier version of Smalltalk-80) has a
nice university pricing... something like $400 rather than the retail
>$3k which runs on MacIIs, 386, or UNIX workstations.  Digitalk makes
Smalltalk/V which runs on Macs and PCs and runs around $200 for
university purchases.  Apple also sells a Smalltalk-80 Version 1 for
Macs through APDA (was priced around $50).

There are a number of public domain (or licensed but free) OO system
you could look at.  There is little smalltalk by Tim Budd which will
run on PCs and UNIX boxes, the GNU smalltalk which will run on UNIX
boxes (and Amigas?), OakLisp which runs on UNIX boxes and Macs, and Self
which runs on Sun-3 and Sun-4s.

Cheers,
Mark

manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) (02/26/91)

In article <B}2-KT?@rpi.edu> mcintyre@cs.rpi.edu (David McIntyre) writes:
>Street price for V/Windows seems to be around $380 right now.
Digitalk has a flat 60% discount for anything shipped to an educational
institution. This means that V-Windows can be ordered from them for
US$200. My copy arrived yesterday; all I can say for sure is that the
disk installed properly, but I haven't had a chance to try it with
anything real yet.
--
\    Vincent Manis <manis@cs.ubc.ca>      "There is no law that vulgarity and
 \   Department of Computer Science      literary excellence cannot coexist."

jgay@digi.lonestar.org (john gay) (02/27/91)

From article <VERBER.91Feb25220433@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu>, by verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber):

> There are a number of public domain (or licensed but free) OO system
> you could look at.  There is little smalltalk by Tim Budd which will

Does anyone know where I could get a copy of this little smalltalk by
Tim Budd or any other version of smalltalk interpretor that includes source
(does Tim's include source?)?  The Gnu smalltalk is too large for my purposes.

Thanks in advance.

john gay.

No, I don't know what I'm talking about.

andrew@cf-cm.computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Andrew Jones) (03/02/91)

In article <783@studentECOK.EDU> brian@student.ecok.edu (Ridgway  Brian) writes:

>I'm interested in purchasing an Object Oriented
>compiler. I wonder where I could pick up a Smalltalk
>compiler and how much it runs.

A number of people have supplied information on the various Smalltalk
systems available.

Depending on the reason why a Smalltalk compiler is required, it may be
worth noting that Smalltalk/V does not come with source code for the
compiler. (At least, the Smalltalk/V versions which I have used).

Andrew.

--
  Andrew Jones,
  Dept of Computing Maths, University of Wales College of Cardiff,