[comp.lang.smalltalk] manchester ST goodies

sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (03/02/91)

I have heard several references to the "Manchester goodies library". Could
someone tell me the internet host for FTPing from that library?

Thanks,
  ---jon---

benson@milton.u.washington.edu (Dan Benson) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar2.155021.12075@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu writes:
>I have heard several references to the "Manchester goodies library". Could
>someone tell me the internet host for FTPing from that library?

The internet host address is:

goodies-lib@cs.man.ac.uk

Here is a portion of the information returned from a "help" message in the
subject line:

Send a message to the archiver with commands in the subject line, thus:
	To: goodies-lib@cs.man.ac.uk
	Subject: summary arcpath; send clock-fixes BetterUnder
Commands should be separated by semicolons.  If there are a lot of them,you can put them in the main text instead, separated by newlines.
A command without its expected parameters sends you further help.

Commands:
	help	Sends you this message.  Other commands are ignored.
	index	Gets the index.  Keep your copy: sending it is expensive.
	summary goodie1 goodie2 ...
		Sends short descriptions.
	send goodie1 goodie2 ...
		Assuming you've got the index, this sends the stuff.
		Non-text files are uuencoded.
	copyright	Sends you full details of the FSF-like rules.
	submit  Responds with instructions on how to submit your contribution.
	news	Sends you the latest updates to the index.
		This news is broadcast at intervals to a circulation list.
	reply aMailAddress
		The server will reply to this address rather than you.
		PUT THIS FIRST.

For the first time you may want to just send "help" and "index" then go
from there.