[comp.lang.smalltalk] Smalltalk and sockets

cozza@cshl.org (Steven Cozza) (03/08/91)

I have a question regarding Objectworks/Smalltalk release 4 for the Mac.
I am working on a client program which will connect over a network to a
server process running on a Sun (or any UNIX machine).  I can see how to do
this on the UNIX Smalltalk version (it comes with methods supporting sockets),
but not for the Mac.  Are there any methods or UDP's out there that have
already been written to allow socket-type connections via MacTCP?  If so,
where? If not do you have any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I
am also thinking about using RPC calls but Smalltalk doesn't seen to support
those either. I'm new to Smalltalk so if anything I've asked is obvious blame
the manual that came with release 4.

Steven Cozza
Internet:	cozza@cshl.org
US Mail:	Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
		Box 100
		1 Bungtown Road
		Cold Spring Harbor
		New York, 11724

ags@scs.carleton.ca (Alexander George Morison Smith) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.164713.18630@cshl.org> cozza@cshl.org (Steven Cozza) writes:
>I have a question regarding Objectworks/Smalltalk release 4 for the Mac.
>I am working on a client program which will connect over a network to a
>server process running on a Sun (or any UNIX machine).  I can see how to do
>this on the UNIX Smalltalk version (it comes with methods supporting sockets),
>but not for the Mac.  Are there any methods or UDP's out there that have
>already been written to allow socket-type connections via MacTCP?

I've written some primitives for ParcPlace ST-80 version 2.3 that let
you send and receive simple objects (nil, Boolean, SmallInteger, Float,
String, Array of anything in this list) between Macintoshes.  I've also
built a proxy object system on top of it - giving you remote procedure
calls in effect (remote message sends).  This uses a custom protocol,
not MacTCP so maybe it isn't useful to you.  I've posted the source on
BIX in the Smalltalk area.

By the way, remote message sends are almost trivial to add to Smalltalk.
Particuarly in PP version 2.3 which has these nice oop numbers and lets
you disinherit a class by making its superclass nil (doesNotUnderstand:
is the hook where you add in the remote message sends).

- Alex