[comp.lang.smalltalk] Smalltalk/V Windows 'Insufficient Memory' Problem

objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Peter Goodall) (02/27/91)

Dear folks,

	I have been using my Smalltalk/V Windows for a few days now.
If I try to reload Smalltalk immediately after shutting it down,
I get an 'Insuficient Memory' error window from Win 3.0.

I have sufficient memory - 7.5 megs.

In the README.TXT file that comes with ST/VW the heading:

	4. Known Problems

Refers to this bug. It does describe it as 'rare'. It happens to me
every time.

The Digitalk work-around is to try to restart the application which will
be 'eventually loaded on the second or third attempt'.

This did work, but I can't deliver an application like this!

Has anyone else experienced this, and how frequently?

Thanks

----------------------------
Peter Goodall

Smalltalk Systems Consultant
ObjecTech P/L
162 Burns Bay Rd,
LANE COVE , NSW, AUSTRALIA
objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (02/28/91)

In article <objtch.667637464@extro> objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Peter Goodall) writes:
>	I have been using my Smalltalk/V Windows for a few days now.
>If I try to reload Smalltalk immediately after shutting it down,
>I get an 'Insuficient Memory' error window from Win 3.0.
>
>Refers to this bug. It does describe it as 'rare'. It happens to me
>every time.

I've seen this about 10% of the time I've re-run ST/Win over the 2 weeks I've
had it.  Always comes up promptly the second time I try it.  8MB machine,
very large swapfile (PgmMgr reports 21.8MB free as I type).  I've also had
problems with starting up ST from a command line vs. icon -- it usually blows
up and locks up the system -- and with selecting text on the right side of my
SVGA screen.  I've reported both issues to Digitalk, and they've said they
may have a fix for the SVGA problem.  I get the feeling that they're working
very hard to be responsive, but like many vendors are having such a large
surge of calls from a new Windows product that it's hard to keep up.

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com

cford@hpcc01.HP.COM (Charlie Ford) (03/09/91)

I hope this comes out OK, it's the first time I've written to Notes.

Back when I had 4 MB RAM, I got 'Insufficient Memory' frequently. And,
the application of interest would not start, in spite of repeated
attempts. STVW was very predictable in this regard. I believe it didn't
limit itself to this behavior to occurring only "after exiting Smalltalk"
It was also sluggish.

Then, I got an extra 4 MB for a total of 8, and have not any problems.
The performance is also much better.

BTW, it's an HP Vectra RS25C (25 MHz 386, 64 K cache I think, 300 MB disc).