[comp.lang.smalltalk] extending Smalltalk with C

khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) (03/12/91)

In <2157@media01.UUCP> pkr@media01.UUCP (Peter Kriens) writes:

>... Using Digitalk V286,
>it is not a very hard problem. You can use almost any C compiler and some
>assembly glue to connect Smalltalk and your C subsystem. For Smalltalk 80, it
>is a bit harder. You need the phar lap dos extender tools and a Watcom
>or NDP compiler, I think. For Smalltalk V on the mac it is very easy, you just

Depends on the version. For pre-Windows Smalltalk-80, you need the
PharLap DOS extender and Metaware High-C. For Windows versions, you
need only the MetaWare High-C compiler and PharLap's 386LINK linker.
And you don't need "assembly glue" for most purposes.

On a Mac, you need MPW 3.1 C.

The fileset includes a sample "userprim VM" that extends Smalltalk with
C functions, and the auxiliary files to build it (makefiles for Unix,
an MPW project for the Mac and a .LNK file for DOS). The manual has
additional examples and describes the interface functions between C and
Smalltalk (which we provide).
--
Mike Khaw
ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043

tma@m5.COM (Tim Atkins) (03/15/91)

>Depends on the version. For pre-Windows Smalltalk-80, you need the
>PharLap DOS extender and Metaware High-C. For Windows versions, you
>need only the MetaWare High-C compiler and PharLap's 386LINK linker.
>And you don't need "assembly glue" for most purposes.

This is clearly not very good news (well not really news) for Windows
developers.  Ideally I should not need anything to add C access to
ST 80 that is not already part of a more or less normal Window developers
kit just as I need nothing arcane on supported Unix platforms.  In
addition to the hefty price of ST80 under windows for non-students,
adding the fairly substantial prices of the above two items is truly
burdensome.  Glue supporting DLL usage as is normal for windows
would be MUCH appreciated.  Digitalk got this one right.

- Tim

khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) (03/16/91)

In <4670@m5.COM> tma@m5.COM (Tim Atkins) writes:

>>Depends on the version. For pre-Windows Smalltalk-80, you need the
>>PharLap DOS extender and Metaware High-C. For Windows versions, you
>>need only the MetaWare High-C compiler and PharLap's 386LINK linker.
>>And you don't need "assembly glue" for most purposes.

>This is clearly not very good news (well not really news) for Windows
>developers.  Ideally I should not need anything to add C access to
>ST 80 that is not already part of a more or less normal Window developers
>kit just as I need nothing arcane on supported Unix platforms.  In
>addition to the hefty price of ST80 under windows for non-students,
>adding the fairly substantial prices of the above two items is truly
>burdensome.  Glue supporting DLL usage as is normal for windows
>would be MUCH appreciated.  Digitalk got this one right.

Yes, well, the situation won't change until Microsoft comes out with
a 32-bit C compiler (for Windows).

Objectworks\Smalltalk Release 4 for Windows does include a file-in for
Windows DLL access from Smalltalk.