[comp.lang.smalltalk] Porting ST V from MAC to PC

sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (03/13/91)

My lab is currently investigating ST for use in building tools for AI research.
We are trying to get a sense of whether ST V or ST 80(v4) is our better route.
One issue is porting the same source back and forth between Mac and PC. Is ST V
source compatible between the PC and the Mac platform? Although I would
appreciate any replies, I am particularly interested to hear from people who
have actually done the ports and have the same system running on both Mac and
PC.

Thanks,
  ---jon---

rtg@cs.rit.edu (Robert T Gayvert) (03/15/91)

From article <1991Mar13.123540.24042@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, by sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu:
> One issue is porting the same source back and forth between Mac and PC. Is ST V
> source compatible between the PC and the Mac platform?

It depends on what version of ST/V you're using. Digitalk plans to have
V/Mac, V/Windows and V/PM source compatible by the end of the year. The
new Mac version will have the "application window" paradigm instead of
Model-Pane-Dispatcher. Even then, I doubt if ST/V will be as portable as
ST-80, but my vote would still be for ST/V.

Rob Gayvert
RIT Research

djohnson@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) (03/25/91)

In article <2196@cs.rit.edu> rtg@cs.rit.edu writes:
>It depends on what version of ST/V you're using. Digitalk plans to have
>V/Mac, V/Windows and V/PM source compatible by the end of the year. The
>new Mac version will have the "application window" paradigm instead of
>Model-Pane-Dispatcher. Even then, I doubt if ST/V will be as portable as
>ST-80, but my vote would still be for ST/V.

Hmm, how about an Amiga version?  Probably not enough market demand,
but I'd grab a copy real quick.
--
Darin Johnson
djohnson@ucsd.edu