[comp.lang.smalltalk] Block Temporaries in ST-80 and ST/V

mjohnson@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Mark S. Johnson) (04/02/91)

In a "recent" posting (expired from my system) someone mentioned that
the most (only?) significant change to ST-80 syntax since the Blue
Book was the addition of block temporaries.

Two Questions:

(1)  What is the syntax for block temporaries?
     I'd guess something like [:x | a b | ...] where a and b are the
     temps.  I have to guess because I don't have access to ST-80.

(2) Is there a filein that adds block temporaries to ST/V?
    Or any fix that a near-novice could apply?
    (Preferably for ST/V Mac, if it matters.)

Thanks for any help,
Mark

--
Mark S. Johnson        mjohnson@stn9.me.calpoly.edu      (129.65.19.9)

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Race Bannon) (04/02/91)

mjohnson@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Mark S. Johnson) writes:

>In a "recent" posting (expired from my system) someone mentioned that
>the most (only?) significant change to ST-80 syntax since the Blue
>Book was the addition of block temporaries.

>Two Questions:

>(1)  What is the syntax for block temporaries?
>     I'd guess something like [:x | a b | ...] where a and b are the
>     temps.  I have to guess because I don't have access to ST-80.

>(2) Is there a filein that adds block temporaries to ST/V?
>    Or any fix that a near-novice could apply?
>    (Preferably for ST/V Mac, if it matters.)

>Thanks for any help,
>Mark

>--
>Mark S. Johnson        mjohnson@stn9.me.calpoly.edu      (129.65.19.9)

Thats almost exactly the syntax, with the addition of an extra vertical bar:

[:foo :bar | |temp1 temp2| thing doStuff. otherThing doOtherStuff]

Sorry, don't know anything about ST/V.

Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |    you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |