[comp.lang.smalltalk] Real world objects?

rob@idacom.uucp (Rob Chapman) (04/03/91)

 I'm just ramping up the learning curve on ST/V for the Mac and I would
 appreciate any feedback on a few questions.

 1. I don't see any classes for real world objects like serial ports and
    SCSI ports.  Do they exist somewhere?

 2. Has anyone done any benchmarking of output to windows?  Specifically,
    how many lines of 80 characters could be written to a 20 line window?  And
    if the window was wraparound instead of scrolling (output from top to
    bottom then restart at top)?

 3. How compatible will my code be with ST/Windows?  Source code or image
    code compatible?  I plan on using ST to develop a GUI for a tester.  Are
    there any gotchas?  My coworker just received ST/Windows and at a quick
    glance, the class hierarchy has changed a fair bit.

Thanks,
Rob

rob@idacom.uucp (Rob Chapman) (04/03/91)

> 2. Has anyone done any benchmarking of output to windows?  Specifically,
>    how many lines of 80 characters could be written to a 20 line window?

 Oops! Should have read: How many lines of 80 characters could be written to a
 20 line window per second?

Rob

cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.065551.22334@idacom.uucp> rob@idacom.UUCP (Rob Chapman) writes:

> 3. How compatible will my code be with ST/Windows?  Source code or image
>    code compatible?  I plan on using ST to develop a GUI for a tester.  Are
>    there any gotchas?  My coworker just received ST/Windows and at a quick
>    glance, the class hierarchy has changed a fair bit.

From what I understand, a long-awaited upgrade to Mac/V is in the works
for later this year that will add the ability to create executable
modules and will also address some of the class incompatibilties that
now exist among the various versions of ST/V.

Hopefully, Digitalk will live up to it's promises and as they grow, and get
some better technical support.  We knew more than they did after taking
just one week of classes.

It seems to be the curse of software that the really small companies
come out with really good products and really bad support.
--
|          ...we have to look for routes of power our teachers never
|              imagined, or were encouraged to avoid.   T. Pynchon
|
|Andy Cohill        cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu            VPI&SU

objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Peter Goodall) (04/05/91)

cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill) writes:

[...]

>Hopefully, Digitalk will live up to it's promises and as they grow, and get
>some better technical support.  We knew more than they did after taking
>just one week of classes.

>It seems to be the curse of software that the really small companies
>come out with really good products and really bad support.
>--
>|          ...we have to look for routes of power our teachers never
>|              imagined, or were encouraged to avoid.   T. Pynchon
>|
>|Andy Cohill        cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu            VPI&SU
It is probably in  our best interests to assist. I suggest that if people
want to post problems and suggested fixes to any of the Digitalk products
I am willing to collate them, and forward to Digitalk.

Smalltalk is a fine system, but we need uniformity and more powerful tools.
People find Gupta SQL windows more attractive because thay can draw interfaces.
That's why Acumen's Widgets or whatever for windows will be very important to
us. Digitalk is working on their own interface builder, but they are trying
something very ambitious, which has to go back to the drawing board a few
times more.

The other thing we need is some copyleft tools or at least reasonably
priced tools for configuration management. It seems to take some time
before people realize that the Class is not the unit of delivery in OO
systems. A toolkit or application is delivered as a bunch of methods on a
number of classes which may depend on another toolkit - some people call
these thingummys frameworks or applications.

Version control is also a pain in the .... .

----------------------------
Peter Goodall

Smalltalk Systems Consultant
ObjecTech P/L
162 Burns Bay Rd,
LANE COVE , NSW, AUSTRALIA
objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
--

Peter Goodall			| INTERNET:

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) (04/09/91)

<The other thing we need is some copyleft tools or at least reasonably
<priced tools for configuration management. It seems to take some time
<before people realize that the Class is not the unit of delivery in OO
<systems. A toolkit or application is delivered as a bunch of methods on a
<number of classes which may depend on another toolkit - some people call
<these thingummys frameworks or applications.
<
<Version control is also a pain in the .... .

Both excellent observations IMHO.  Add to the list of things we need:

- a serious attempt at graphics (Actor's Object Graphics is an example)
- an ISAM database manager
- a better debugger (something along the lines of Codeview for an
  interpreter)

Will Estes        Internet: Will@cup.portal.com
                  UUCP: apple!cup.portal.com!Will