[comp.lang.smalltalk] St80 and SunOS 4.1.1

boissier@irisa.fr (franck boissiere) (04/11/91)

I just upgraded to SunOS 4.1.1 and I found some "bugs".

When running the 2.5 version of Smalltalk-80 I have often messages such as
snapshot primitive failed due to platform. Sometime the snapshots are good
sometimes they are not.

I still have old demo programs runnign in the 2.3 version (even 2.2).
These programs cannot be ported to 2.5 nor ported at all but contains
valuable information which could be exploited.
When running the 2.3 image  I get the /usr/bin/setkeys not found error
which can be avoided by placing the /usr/old/setkeys file back in the
/usr/bin directory. But then I get a Hangup message.

Is there a way to get around this bug or do I have to downgrade back to
4.0.3?

Franck
--
Franck BOISSIERE                        boissier@irisa.irisa.fr
C.C.E.T.T.   B.P. 59                    boissiere@ccett.fr

khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) (04/15/91)

In <1991Apr11.141747.1347@irisa.fr> boissier@irisa.fr (franck boissiere) writes:

>I just upgraded to SunOS 4.1.1 and I found some "bugs".

>When running the 2.5 version of Smalltalk-80 I have often messages such as
>snapshot primitive failed due to platform. Sometime the snapshots are good
>sometimes they are not.

This is caused by a bug in the write(2) system call in SunOS 4.1.1
and only affects saving snapshots to a filesystem on a local disk.
Sun has recently developed a patch for the problem. Request the patch
for bug ID 1052649.

--
Mike Khaw
ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043

boissier@irisa.fr (franck boissiere) (04/15/91)

From article <khaw.671679418@parcplace.com>, by khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw):
> In <1991Apr11.141747.1347@irisa.fr> boissier@irisa.fr (franck boissiere) writes:
>
>>I just upgraded to SunOS 4.1.1 and I found some "bugs".
>
>>When running the 2.5 version of Smalltalk-80 I have often messages such as
>>snapshot primitive failed due to platform. Sometime the snapshots are good
>>sometimes they are not.
>
> This is caused by a bug in the write(2) system call in SunOS 4.1.1
> and only affects saving snapshots to a filesystem on a local disk.
> Sun has recently developed a patch for the problem. Request the patch
> for bug ID 1052649.

While this happens a lot on a local disk, it sometimes happens on a
SparcStation1 with no disk and served by a Sun3/260. But I got it only
twice in this case whereas I got tens of errors on platform with
local disk.

One additionnal question: Is the snapshot really corrupted or may I use it.
(My guess is that if I have a primitiveFailed error while in Smalltalk I
should save is again, and if I have only the error message after exiting
the VM the image might be correct)