[net.movies] Ran and Kung-Fu movies kinship

cher@ihlpm.UUCP (Mike Cherepov) (01/15/86)

Spectacular Ran's reviews is what really makes me sick.
The characters in that "master director" film are
pretty much like in films titled The Deadly Revenve of
the Young Master, The Dragon vs. Deadly Sticks. The Deadly Fist,
and suchlike.
The audience was giggling in dramatic moments: the scene
with a warrior looking like a porcupine from all these arrows
really cracked it (the fun barrel) open.

Old Lord siting with zillions of bullets and arrows flying around
provided much fun, scenes with insanity caused lots of laughs
and made me hope that Kurosawa subject his degenerate character
to a torturous death immediately!

Except for the photography is was a dog.
Final battle scene was done incomprehensibly.
The whole thing looked like a cartoon series, with full-blown
cartoon-sophistication characters.
We have another piece of acclaimed hogwash form a big-name director.

--
Mike Cherepov

edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) (01/17/86)

In article <665@ihlpm.UUCP> cher@ihlpm.UUCP (Mike Cherepov) writes:
>Spectacular Ran's reviews is what really makes me sick.
>The characters in that "master director" film are
>pretty much like in films titled The Deadly Revenve of
>the Young Master, The Dragon vs. Deadly Sticks. The Deadly Fist,
>and suchlike.
>The audience was giggling in dramatic moments: the scene
>with a warrior looking like a porcupine from all these arrows
>really cracked it (the fun barrel) open.
>
>Old Lord siting with zillions of bullets and arrows flying around
>provided much fun, scenes with insanity caused lots of laughs
>and made me hope that Kurosawa subject his degenerate character
>to a torturous death immediately!
>
>Except for the photography is was a dog.
>Final battle scene was done incomprehensibly.
>The whole thing looked like a cartoon series, with full-blown
>cartoon-sophistication characters.
>We have another piece of acclaimed hogwash form a big-name director.
>
>--
>Mike Cherepov

 I usually don't post the entire article again, but this time I had to.

 Just another case of the UNCULTURE, UNTHINKING, LIVING in HIS OWN WORLD,
 TYPICAL AMERICAN . (no disrespect intended.)

  This was not an AMERICAN movie, thus ideas, pictures portrayed, and
stories being told, will not conform to the TYPICAL AMERICAN IDEALS.

I think Robin Williams doing a Don Rickles type routine on a special
a fews years back said it best when he said (wearing a sony walkman),

 "This time we won't even need Pearl Harbor, you won't even here us
 coming."

 mark.

 ps. if the shoe fits .....

cher@ihlpm.UUCP (Mike Cherepov) (01/21/86)

>  I usually don't post the entire article again, but this time I had to.
>
>  Just another case of the UNCULTURE, UNTHINKING, LIVING in HIS OWN WORLD,
>  TYPICAL AMERICAN . (no disrespect intended.)

And all this about poor me, Typically American, despite spending
about 4/5 of my life in USSR.
LIVING in HIS OWN WORLD might be more applicable, being a very obscure
characteristic.

>   This was not an AMERICAN movie, thus ideas, pictures portrayed, and
> stories being told, will not conform to the TYPICAL AMERICAN IDEALS.

I have noticed that. Believe it or not.
To avoid making it a purely personal note, I can point out that
criticizm of Ran can not be responded to by just shouting
  "hey you, it's Japanese culture, so shut up".
Same could be said about any piece of [culture of your choice] junk.

If Mark Edwards uncovered some incredible depth of human thought in
this film, I would be interested in seeing it too.
It just might be harder to produce then Robin Williams' gags.
--
Mike Cherepov

dianeh@ISM780.UUCP (01/23/86)

/* Written  2:38 pm  Jan 20, 1986 by nielsen@hplabsc in ISM780:net.movies */
>My understanding was that Ran is based on the story in Japanese folklore
>and that the similarity to King Lear was recognized by Kurosawa HALF-WAY
>through while he was making it.  Therefore any comparisons on the divulgence
>of the movie's plot to King Lear are invalid.                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Actually, divulging *anything* to King Lear would be pretty tricky :-)!

Diane Holt
Interactive Systems Corp.
ima!ism780!dianeh

"Ready when you are, C.B."