[comp.lang.smalltalk] Recommendations on Smalltalk for Mac I Si

c89itz@prg.ox.ac.uk (Ignacio Trejos-Zelaya) (04/18/91)

Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk, comp.object
Subject: Smalltalk for Mac I

Dear all:

This is a message sent on behalf of a colleague from the Costa Rica
Institute of Technology (Costa Rica, Central America).

They were recently donated a Mac I Si with 8MB memory and a 40MB disc.
They want to develop programs in Smalltalk (apparently big ones arising
from multidisciplinary research, not "toy" examples).  And, as they are
short of money, they want to invest it wisely.

As possibilities, Dr Mata mentions ParcPlace's Object works and
Digitalk's Smalltalk V.  There may be some other Smalltalk-80
implementations for the Mac I around which he is not aware of.  Dr Mata
has experience with Smalltalk-80, but has not used it on Mac platforms.

Would knowledgeable people recommend him about the best option to take?
(I guess that the existence of good class libraries would be a plus)
Please consider the hardware they presently have at ITCR and the
unlikelihood of them getting expansions in the near future.

You can send your recommendations directly to Dr Erick Mata, at:
	erick%huracan@net.uu.uunet
or
	ERICKMM%bitnet.ucrvm2@edu.cuny.cunyvm

If you have trouble, then you can send the messages to me, I'll
endeavour to forward them to Costa Rica.

Thanks for the help you kindly provide,

Ignacio