[comp.lang.smalltalk] More trouble using st80 V2.5 with SunOS 4.1.1

boissier@irisa.fr (franck boissiere) (04/25/91)

I have some more trouble using Smalltalk80 Version 2.5 since I upgraded
to SunOS 4.1.1 !

Every so often Smalltalk hangs and fail to respond, you can get its
attention back by hitting the Stop key. It sometimes happens quite
frequently and is really annoying.

Any idea on what can be done.

BTW: This only haapens on diskless workstations.

Thanks in advance

Franck
--
Franck BOISSIERE                        boissier@irisa.irisa.fr
C.C.E.T.T.   B.P. 59                    boissiere@ccett.fr

to@mdivax1.uucp (Ricky To) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr25.153146.9522@irisa.fr> boissier@irisa.fr (franck boissiere) writes:
>I have some more trouble using Smalltalk80 Version 2.5 since I upgraded
>to SunOS 4.1.1 !
>
>Every so often Smalltalk hangs and fail to respond, you can get its
>attention back by hitting the Stop key. It sometimes happens quite
>frequently and is really annoying.
>
>Any idea on what can be done.
>
>BTW: This only haapens on diskless workstations.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Franck

This is a known bug to ParcPlace Systems, the developer of Smalltalk 80.
(They claim that this won't happen in Version 4.0, though I haven't tried
it out.)  If you still want to hang around with Version 2.5 for some
longer time, their suggestion is to start Smalltalk using the following
script.  (I got this script from a ParcPlace technical support engineer.)

st80 $* &               # essential to run st80 in background
exec > /dev/null 2>&1   # suppress silly warning messages
while kill -IO $!       # repeat until you quit from st80
do
	sleep 5         # kick every 5 seconds
done

Hope this helps!

Ricky
--
Ricky To
Mobile Data Division, Motorola

de@dcs.glasgow.ac.uk (Dr David England) (04/26/91)

boissier@irisa.fr (franck boissiere) writes:
>I have some more trouble using Smalltalk80 Version 2.5 since I upgraded
>to SunOS 4.1.1 !
>Every so often Smalltalk hangs and fail to respond, you can get its
>attention back by hitting the Stop key. It sometimes happens quite
>frequently and is really annoying.

We had the same problem and here's shell script we were given to solve
this.

#! /bin/sh
#
#   This script periodically sends a wake-up signal
#   to the Smalltalk process to prevent it from hanging.
#   It is a hack to overcome a bug in SunOS 4.1.
#
st80 $* &               # essential to run in background
exec > /dev/null 2>&1   # suppress useless warnings
while kill -IO $!       # repeat until st80 quits
do
   sleep 5              # wakeup every 5 seconds
done
exit

Dave

--
ARPANet: de%dcs.glasgow.ac.uk@{nsfnet-relay.ac.uk,ukacrl.bitnet}
JANET:   de@uk.ac.glasgow.dcs

khaw@parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) (04/27/91)

In <1991Apr25.153146.9522@irisa.fr> boissier@irisa.fr (franck boissiere) writes:

>I have some more trouble using Smalltalk80 Version 2.5 since I upgraded
>to SunOS 4.1.1 !

As far as we can tell it's the result of a change in Sunview that only
affects Sun4 kernels. Of course Sun will only concede that there is a
problem if one can demonstrate it with the proverbial "simple C
program", but in our estimation it would take more resources than we
have available to come up with that program.

The known workarounds are: (a) if it doesn't happen often, hit the STOP
(aka L1) key -- this is not the same as L1-A, which will immediately
halt your CPU and possibly leave your filesystems in an inconsistent
state!  (b) use a shell script to periodically execute "kill -IO" on
the PID of the st80 program.

For more details, request ParcPlace Technical Note 101 from your
distributor.
--
Mike Khaw
ParcPlace Systems, Inc., 1550 Plymouth St., Mountain View, CA 94043