[net.movies] Night Shift & That's What Friends Are For

lo@harvard.UUCP (Bert S.F. Lo) (01/01/86)

I just finished watching Night Shift on TV, and I couldn't help noticing
how the background music bore more than a passing resemblance to That's
What Friends Are For, the current hit by Dionne Warwick and friends. Was
it just my imagination ?

                            :::     ::::::     :::
                          :::  :::   ::::   :::  :::
                        ::::     :::  ::  :::     ::::
                       ::::                        ::::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::      Bert S.F. Lo      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::::::::::::::::::::::::::: lo@harvard.HARVARD.EDU :::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                       ::::                        ::::
                        ::::     :::  ::  :::     ::::
                          :::  :::   ::::   :::  :::
                            :::     ::::::     :::

P.S. Happy New Year

ccs012@ucdavis.UUCP (Sam McCall - Unix Systems & Security Hacker) (01/02/86)

---> Bert S.F. Lo writes...
> I just finished watching Night Shift on TV, and I couldn't help noticing
> how the background music bore more than a passing resemblance to That's
> What Friends Are For, the current hit by Dionne Warwick and friends. Was
> it just my imagination ?

no, it wasn't your imagination.  the song 'that's what friends are for'
was played for background throughout most of the last half of the movie,
and was sung by rod stewart while the credits rolled at the end.

the lyrics were written by burt bacharach(sp?) and carole bayer sager.
i presume that, since the original lyrics for the movie were done by
burt bacharach (see the opening credits of the movie), that he probably
wrote the song with carole bayer sager for the movie, and it was just
recently redone by Dionne and friends.

 -sam mccall
 -computer center
 -university of california, davis
 -...!{ucbvax,lll-crg}!ucdavis!deneb!ccs012 (computer center slave #12)

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (01/02/86)

In article <577@harvard.UUCP> lo@harvard.UUCP (Bert S.F. Lo) writes:
>I just finished watching Night Shift on TV, and I couldn't help noticing
>how the background music bore more than a passing resemblance to That's
>What Friends Are For, the current hit by Dionne Warwick and friends. Was
>it just my imagination ?

   No, it was not your imagination.  The song was originally done in the movie
by Rod Stewart, and I think it's a much better version than Dionne Warwick's.

   "Think of us as . . . Love Brokers"

    --Blore

becky@cylixd.UUCP (Becky Bates) (01/03/86)

> I just finished watching Night Shift on TV, and I couldn't help noticing
> how the background music bore more than a passing resemblance to That's
> What Friends Are For, the current hit by Dionne Warwick and friends. Was
> it just my imagination ?
>
>                             :::     ::::::     :::
>                           :::  :::   ::::   :::  :::
>                         ::::     :::  ::  :::     ::::
>                        ::::                        ::::
> :::::::::::::::::::::::::::      Bert S.F. Lo      :::::::::::::::::::::::::::
> ::::::::::::::::::::::::::: lo@harvard.HARVARD.EDU :::::::::::::::::::::::::::
>                        ::::                        ::::
>                         ::::     :::  ::  :::     ::::
>                           :::  :::   ::::   :::  :::
>                             :::     ::::::     :::
>
> P.S. Happy New Year

Yes I noticed that also.  I believe that the music was by Burt
Barach(sp) and lyrics sung by Carole Bayer Sayer.  I believe that is
what I saw at the beginning of the movie.  I think your are right about
this one because I picked up on this also.  I thought it was just my
imagination.  Funny how the music from a past movie is now a popular
hit.  It usually is the case where a movie and song hit come out at the
same time making it even more popular.

Becky Bates
!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!becky

msf@rayssd.UUCP (Michael S. Frank) (01/03/86)

  -----------------------------
  |\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
  |\-----------------------------
  |\|     Michael Frank         |
   \|     allegra!rayssd!msf    |
    -----------------------------

msf@rayssd.UUCP (Michael S. Frank) (01/03/86)

> I just finished watching Night Shift on TV, and I couldn't help noticing
> how the background music bore more than a passing resemblance to That's
> What Friends Are For, the current hit by Dionne Warwick and friends. Was
> it just my imagination ?

I too noticed the song in the movie; I just thought that the movie had been
re-dubbed.  However, I watched the credits, hoping to see WHY they did this,
and became even more confused.  At the end of the film, we hear Rod Stewart
singing "That's What Friends Are For."  According to the credits, the song
was written by Burt Bacharach and Carole Bayer Sager.  It looks like the
song has been around longer than people realize!
--

tif@gamma.UUCP (Barbara Charles) (01/23/86)

The song "That's What Friends are For" was on Night Shift.  The song
was written a couple of year ago, but Dionne Warwick made it popular.  It
is not her song.

         Barb