[comp.lang.smalltalk] Problem with STV4 on MacIIfx

whitney@saturn.sdsu.edu (Roger Whitney) (04/30/91)

I recently tried to run Smalltalk v4 from ParcPlace on a Macintosh IIfx with
Apples 8-24GC graphics accelerator card.  All Smalltalk windows were
black and there was a continuous stream of unhandled exception windows.
The identical image, interpreter, and system works fine on a Mac II.  I find it
hard to believe that ST v4 does not run on an Mac IIfx.  Does anyone know of
any problems running ST v4 on either a Mac IIfx or the 8-24GC graphics
accelerator card?

roger whitney
whitney@sdsu.edu

gollmann@edvz.tuwien.ac.at (Georg Gollmann) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr30.055013.18251@ucselx.sdsu.edu> whitney@saturn.sdsu.edu
(Roger Whitney) writes:
>...  Does anyone know of
>any problems running ST v4 on either a Mac IIfx or the 8-24GC graphics
>accelerator card?

I'm using Rel 4 on a Mac IIfx under System 7b1 without problems. My monitor
setup consists of a 13" Apple High Res RGB Monitor and a 15" Apple Portrait
Monitor, no graphics accelerator card.

Georg Gollmann
TU Wien, EDVZ

dawg6844@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Dan Walkowski) (04/30/91)

whitney@saturn.sdsu.edu (Roger Whitney) writes:

>I recently tried to run Smalltalk v4 from ParcPlace on a Macintosh IIfx with
>Apples 8-24GC graphics accelerator card.  All Smalltalk windows were
>black and there was a continuous stream of unhandled exception windows.
>The identical image, interpreter, and system works fine on a Mac II.  I find it
>hard to believe that ST v4 does not run on an Mac IIfx.  Does anyone know of
>any problems running ST v4 on either a Mac IIfx or the 8-24GC graphics
>accelerator card?

>roger whitney
>whitney@sdsu.edu

I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that the 8-24GC is busting the low-level
graphics primitives.  It does similar stuff to other programs.
Dan Walkowski                          | To understand recursion,
Univ. of Illinois, Dept. of Comp. Sci. |   you must first understand recursion.
walkowsk@cs.uiuc.edu                   |

ski2@milton.u.washington.edu (Chris Kacoroski) (05/01/91)

whitney@saturn.sdsu.edu (Roger Whitney) writes:

>I recently tried to run Smalltalk v4 from ParcPlace on a Macintosh IIfx with
>Apples 8-24GC graphics accelerator card.  All Smalltalk windows were
>black and there was a continuous stream of unhandled exception windows.
>The identical image, interpreter, and system works fine on a Mac II.  I find it
>hard to believe that ST v4 does not run on an Mac IIfx.  Does anyone know of
>any problems running ST v4 on either a Mac IIfx or the 8-24GC graphics
>accelerator card?

I run ST R.4 on a IIfx with a Rasterops monitor and card with no
problems, perhaps it is the apple 8-24GC card.

ski2@u.washington.edu
--
Chris 'ski' Kacoroski	"When we try to pick out anything by itself
8911 Linden Ave N      	 we find it connected to the entire universe"

ags@scs.carleton.ca (Alexander George Morison Smith) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.055013.18251@ucselx.sdsu.edu> whitney@saturn.sdsu.edu (Roger Whitney) writes:
>I recently tried to run Smalltalk v4 from ParcPlace on a Macintosh IIfx with
>Apples 8-24GC graphics accelerator card.  All Smalltalk windows were
>black and there was a continuous stream of unhandled exception windows.
>The identical image, interpreter, and system works fine on a Mac II.  I find it
>hard to believe that ST v4 does not run on an Mac IIfx.  Does anyone know of
>any problems running ST v4 on either a Mac IIfx or the 8-24GC graphics
>accelerator card?

I came across the same problem while arguing with Wilf about colour in
PP 4.0 on a Mac IIci with the same graphics card.  The solution is to go
to the control panel and select the monitor resolution you want (even if
it is already selected) before running PP4.

Back to the original problem: has anyone been able to get 24 bit images
to work? I forget the exact class name but we were unsuccessful in
getting something that was 24 bits deep.  Even trying to get something
from the clipboard didn't work (sure, you could display the image using
the Mac graphics handle but you couldn't get the actual bits into
a Smalltalk object).

- Alex