[comp.lang.smalltalk] <None>

taylord@spock (Don Taylor) (05/25/90)

In article <1990May24.192311.20180@bigsur.uucp> andrzej@bigsur.UUCP (Andrzej Bieszczad) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I have just called guys at Digitalk and I found out that a version
>of Smalltalk V/Win3.0 is coming. Unfortunately, they aim at the
>last quarter of 1990.
>
>They told me that it will be similar to the PM version, but without
>a compiler (as oppose to Smalltalk V/PM).

Aaaargh!(to no compiler).  Does this mean then that you will not be able to
make royalty-free applications in STV/Win (or whatever they call it)?  Right
now you can't even make PD software in a non-OS/2 version of ST/V, and who
really cares about OS/2?

I should like to see Digitalk produce versions of ST/V for native DOS and
Windows (3.0, I guess) that produce the same 'look and feel' from the same
source code.  And, I should be able to produce a royalty free application.
Until this happens, I can't see using ST/V for anything other than
prototyping and recreational programming.

Don.

--
Don Taylor (613)-592-2122 x 3007	 mitel!taylord@uunet.uu.net
Mitel Corp.				 ...!uunet!mitel!taylord

piernot@mcs-ipc-3.Stanford.EDU (Philippe Piernot) (05/10/91)

I would like to know if a translator from Smalltlak (80 or V) to C (++)
is available somewhere? If so please tell me what do you think about it.

Thanks

Phil