[comp.lang.smalltalk] OO simulation languages, any recommendations?

olm@daimi.aau.dk (Ole Lehrmann Madsen) (04/26/91)

raymond!terry@galaxia.newport.ri.us writes:

>My company develops models of computer systems using Simscript II.5.  One
>of my co-workers who does this, asked me if I knew of any OO simulation
>languages, I currently am programming in Smalltalk.  I know that there are
>some fileIns for Smalltalk but I don't know how effective the resulting
>system is as compared to Simscript.  So, I would appreciate it if any of you
>would post or email me your experiences regarding using an OO simulation
>language.

Simula (the first OO language) has execellent facilities for Simulation.
Lund Software can supply compileres for SUN, Macintosh, etc.
a.s. Simula in Oslo can supply PC versions.
For further information you may contact

	Boris Magnusson		Boris.Magnusson@dna.lth.se

Ole Lehrmann Madsen

chang@alc.com (Sehyo Chang) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr26.155632.19230@daimi.aau.dk> olm@daimi.aau.dk (Ole Lehrmann Madsen) writes:
>raymond!terry@galaxia.newport.ri.us writes:
>
>>My company develops models of computer systems using Simscript II.5.  One
>>of my co-workers who does this, asked me if I knew of any OO simulation
>>languages, I currently am programming in Smalltalk.  I know that there are
>>some fileIns for Smalltalk but I don't know how effective the resulting
>>system is as compared to Simscript.  So, I would appreciate it if any of you
>>would post or email me your experiences regarding using an OO simulation
>>language.
>
>Simula (the first OO language) has execellent facilities for Simulation.
>Lund Software can supply compileres for SUN, Macintosh, etc.
>a.s. Simula in Oslo can supply PC versions.
>For further information you may contact
>
>	Boris Magnusson		Boris.Magnusson@dna.lth.se
>
>Ole Lehrmann Madsen

There is excellent simulation packaged called 'SimTalk' which
let you build complex simulation in smalltalk. Included are
animation, event trace ,etc.  I heartly recommend build
simulation on smalltalk especially using this package.
In fact I built our simulator product using this
package.

--------
Sehyo Chang
Ascent Logic Corp
chang@alc.com

--
Sehyo Chang						chang@alc.com
Ascent Logic Corp					(408)943-0630

drs@stl.stc.co.uk (Dave Stansell) (05/03/91)

In article <1251@denver.alc.com> chang@alc.com (Sehyo Chang) writes:

   There is excellent simulation packaged called 'SimTalk' which
   let you build complex simulation in smalltalk. Included are
   animation, event trace ,etc.  I heartly recommend build
   simulation on smalltalk especially using this package.
   In fact I built our simulator product using this
   package.

Could you please tell me where can I get this package from, how much
does it cost and will it work with smalltalk V/PM or smalltalk V?

	Thanks very much,
			Dave Stansell

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (05/04/91)

I'm interested in SIMTALK too.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: netcom.com

jgay@digi.lonestar.org (john gay) (05/07/91)

From article <1991May4.132042.11510@netcom.COM>, by feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel):
> I'm interested in SIMTALK too.
> --

me too...

john gay.

johnson@cs.uiuc.EDU (Ralph Johnson) (05/11/91)

SimTalk was developed at Tektronix.  For awhile it was a
regular Tektronix product, and they sold it both for their
own version of Smalltalk-80, and also for the ParcPlace
version.  My guess is that it is no longer a produce, though
I might be wrong.  If it is no longer a product, you might
try Smalltalk Express, a Chicago-based company that has
advertised in a number of OOP-related magazines that they
are selling the Tektronix Smalltalk libraries.  Even if
you are not interested in SimTalk, it is probably worth
your while to talk to Smalltalk Express, because Tektronix
had lots of nice stuff.  In particular, Smalltalkers
should be interested in HotDraw, a framework for graphical
editors.

eb@felix.Sublink.Org (Enrico Badella) (05/16/91)

Me too...Thanks in advance.

--
Enrico Badella				Internet: eb@felix.sublink.org
Soft*Star s.r.l.			          eb@icnucevx.cnuce.cnr.it

vernak@cateye.LABS.TEK.COM (Verna Knapp) (05/18/91)

In article <DRS.91May2193008@holly.stl.stc.co.uk> drs@stl.stc.co.uk (Dave Stansell) writes:
 >In article <1251@denver.alc.com> chang@alc.com (Sehyo Chang) writes:
 >
 >   There is excellent simulation packaged called 'SimTalk' which
 >   let you build complex simulation in smalltalk. Included are
 >   animation, event trace ,etc.  I heartly recommend build
 >   simulation on smalltalk especially using this package.
 >   In fact I built our simulator product using this
 >   package.
 >
 >Could you please tell me where can I get this package from, how much
 >does it cost and will it work with smalltalk V/PM or smalltalk V?
 >
 >	Thanks very much,
 >			Dave Stansell

SimTalk runs under Smalltalk/80 only. It has never been ported to
Smalltalk/V to the best of my knowledge, and I am the author of SimTalk.
It runs under PPS Smalltalk through release 2.5 and under Tektronix
Smalltalk. It is available through Tektronix and through Object Express,Inc.
and Smalltalk Express Ltd. Object Express, Inc. in the USA can
be phoned at 800-332-2110, and Smalltalk Express Ltd. in London UK can be
phoned at (01) 200 0220.

Thanks for the good words, Sehyo!

Verna Knapp
vernak@crl.labs.tek.com