[comp.lang.smalltalk] Needed: Numerical Analysis/Graphics in SMALLTALK

drector@orion.oac.uci.edu (David Rector) (05/20/91)

I intend to use SMALLTALK V for teaching an undergraduate course in
Numerical Analysis next year.  Before I write the support software, I
would like to know what already exists.  I would also like to hear
from anyone who has experience using SMALLTALK in teaching (or doing)
numerical analysis.

Needed classes:
   Data structures: e.g. intervals, nets, vectors, matrices, linear
                    systems, polynomials, splines, ...
   Linear Algebra: equations and eigensystems, both dense and sparse.
   Transcendental and polynomial equation solvers.
   Quadrature
   Differential Equation solvers
   Fast Fourier Transforms
   2D and 3D graphics.
   PDE systems.
   High precision floating point arithmetic.
   etc.

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

--
David L. Rector				drector@orion.oac.uci.edu
Dept. of Math.				U. C. Irvine, Irvine CA 92717

sdl@aries.lyra.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (05/27/91)

In article <2837ECBF.10865@orion.oac.uci.edu> drector@orion.oac.uci.edu (David Rector) writes:

> I intend to use SMALLTALK V for teaching an undergraduate course in
> Numerical Analysis next year.  Before I write the support software, I
> would like to know what already exists.  I would also like to hear
> from anyone who has experience using SMALLTALK in teaching (or doing)
> numerical analysis.

Have a look at the book, "Object-Oriented Programming with
Smalltalk/V," by D. Savic (published by Ellis Horwood, 1990).  It
discusses how to use Smalltalk/V to do such things as:

   - Matrix operations, including determinants, Gauss-Jordan
     elimination, linear transformations, and eigenvalues.

   - 2-D and 3-D graphical transformations.

   - Runge-Kutta method for ordinary differential equations.

   - Solving parabolic partial differential equations.

As for using Smalltalk for mathematical analysis, you might wish to
contact Sandra Walther or Dick Peskin at Rutgers University.  They are
associated with a research group called "Computer-Aided Industrial
Productivity" (CAIP), which is using Smalltalk for research into
scientific visualization and computational fluid dynamics.

--
Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

ghazi@athos.rutgers.edu (Kaveh R. Ghazi) (05/29/91)

 >>I intend to use SMALLTALK V for teaching an undergraduate course in
 >> Numerical Analysis next year.  Before I write the support software, I
 >> would like to know what already exists.  I would also like to hear
 >> from anyone who has experience using SMALLTALK in teaching (or doing)
 >> numerical analysis.

 >As for using Smalltalk for mathematical analysis, you might wish to
 >contact Sandra Walther or Dick Peskin at Rutgers University.  They are
 >associated with a research group called "Computer-Aided Industrial
 >Productivity" (CAIP), which is using Smalltalk for research into
 >scientific visualization and computational fluid dynamics.
 >Steven Litvintchouk

	I have already passed on the request for smalltalk numerical analysis
pointers to the researchers you mentioned (our regular news disk is down or
they would have seen it themselves.)

	Just for the record, CAIP stands for "Computer *Aids* for Industrial
Productivity."

		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			CAIP Center, Rutgers University.
ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu		rutgers!caip.rutgers.edu!ghazi