[comp.lang.smalltalk] PP ST

sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (05/29/91)

We just started using Sys 7 on our lab IIci's. (8meg memory) PP ST (r4) seems
to be just fine, except I have noted one irratating bug. In 32bit addressing
mode, PP ST sets some global color variable on the MAC. ST windows default to a
sort of grey color. After loading PP ST, ALL Mac application windows come up
with in grey color - even after PP ST is quit (this is what makes me think that
PP ST is setting some global variable).

Turning on VM on the MAC causes no problems that I have seen yet. 32bit
addressing mode is clearly the factor. This is not a biggy. But I wondered if
others had experienced any difficulties with 32bit addressing mode.

  ---jon---

benson@milton.u.washington.edu (Dan Benson) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.184102.433@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu writes:
>We just started using Sys 7 on our lab IIci's. (8meg memory) PP ST (r4) seems
>to be just fine, except I have noted one irratating bug. In 32bit addressing
>mode, PP ST sets some global color variable on the MAC. ST windows default to a
>sort of grey color. After loading PP ST, ALL Mac application windows come up
>with in grey color - even after PP ST is quit (this is what makes me think that
>PP ST is setting some global variable).
>
>Turning on VM on the MAC causes no problems that I have seen yet. 32bit
>addressing mode is clearly the factor. This is not a biggy. But I wondered if
>others had experienced any difficulties with 32bit addressing mode.
>
>  ---jon---

I too have just begun using System 7 with R4 and it seems to work just fine
with 32-bit addressing and virtual memory turned on.  I also noticed the
bug (?) in the way the windows are cleaned up over the desktop.  I prefer
to have the default background color of my windows set to veryLightGray but
I found that moving them around on top of the desktop leaves little gray
rectangles that don't get cleaned up properly (There is no "refresh windows"
command on the Mac desktop!).  However, there seems to be no problem with
the default for window backgrounds set back to white, so if that's what
yours is set to I don't know what the problem could be.

One annoying consequence of running under System 7 is on placing windows
on opening.  I set my window default to allow the user to place and resize
the window when they first open (like v 2.5 used to do), but under System 7
you have to be careful not to place the first mouse click point over the
desktop.  The operating system interprets that as a context switch and the
desktop will become active (along with a marquee)!

Another trick I learned today was that in R4 you have to grow memory in
order to make use of it.  My Mac IIfx has 20 megs of RAM so under System 7
I can finally make full use of it.  I allocated 20 megs to the Objectworks
application but when I would garbage collect it only reported 1 meg free!
After consulting the kind folks at ParcPlace I learned how to grow my
memory.  Interesting stuff.

Regards,

--
| Dan Benson                        benson@ee.washington.edu    |
| Dept. of Elec. Engr., FT-10                                   |