[comp.lang.smalltalk] TIFF conversion

jhgillespie@ucdavis.edu (05/30/91)

Are there are classes out there for
reading and writing TIFF files under smalltalk-80?

John Gillespie  jhgillespie@ucdavis.edu
Department of Genetics
University of California, Davis

benson@milton.u.washington.edu (Dan Benson) (05/31/91)

In article <9066@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> jhgillespie@ucdavis.edu writes:
>Are there are classes out there for
>reading and writing TIFF files under smalltalk-80?

Wouldn't that be great!?  I've been looking for that for a long time
but to no avail.  I've resorted to importing images via the clipboard
on the Mac, but that doesn't always work (sometimes it just crashes
the entire application rather than a graceful no-can-do).  The only way
I know of for grabbing images on a UNIX machine is right off the screen
via the fromUser method.

If anyone has a TIFF reader/writer for ST-80 please let us all know!

--
| Dan Benson                        benson@ee.washington.edu    |
| Dept. of Elec. Engr., FT-10                                   |

brian@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (Brian Antao) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.171102.10380@milton.u.washington.edu> benson@milton.u.washington.edu (Dan Benson) writes:
>In article <9066@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> jhgillespie@ucdavis.edu writes:
>>Are there are classes out there for
>>reading and writing TIFF files under smalltalk-80?
>>

>Wouldn't that be great!?  I've been looking for that for a long time
>but to no avail.  I've resorted to importing images via the clipboard
>on the Mac, but that doesn't always work (sometimes it just crashes
>the entire application rather than a graceful no-can-do).  The only way
>I know of for grabbing images on a UNIX machine is right off the screen
>via the fromUser method.
>
>If anyone has a TIFF reader/writer for ST-80 please let us all know!

	Some time ago a master's thesis was done here at
Vanderbilt University, at the Center for Intelligent Systems, which was
a neat  image manipulation utility that allowed interactive conversion through
and from TIFF to st80 forms, as well as WordPerfect image files.
The author was Gerald Haden, who has since graduated with a Ph.D,
and is currently with IBM in Raleigh NC. The thesis should
be available on loan from the Vanderbilt University science library. I dont
have the current email address of Gerry, but you might try contacting him
at his old address that might get forwarded, ghaden@vuse.vanderbilt.edu

	-- Brian

--
Brian Antao,  				     |INET: brian@vuse.vanderbilt.edu
Dept. of Electrical Engg.,     		     |Office: Room 283, New Engineering Bldg.

In article <1991May30.194444.18203@vuse.vanderbilt.edu> brian@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (Brian Antao) writes:
>In article <1991May30.171102.10380@milton.u.washington.edu> benson@milton.u.washington.edu (Dan Benson) writes:
>>In article <9066@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> jhgillespie@ucdavis.edu writes:
>>>Are there are classes out there for
>>>reading and writing TIFF files under smalltalk-80?
>>>

>Vanderbilt University, at the Center for Intelligent Systems, which was
>a neat  image manipulation utility that allowed interactive conversion through
>and from TIFF to st80 forms, as well as WordPerfect image files.
>The author was Gerald Haden, who has since graduated with a Ph.D,
>and is currently with IBM in Raleigh NC. The thesis should
>be available on loan from the Vanderbilt University science library. I dont
>have the current email address of Gerry, but you might try contacting him
>at his old address that might get forwarded, ghaden@vuse.vanderbilt.edu
      Sorry, I made an error in the address,  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
should read jhaden@vuse.vanderbilt.edu
His thesis is titled "Medical image processing using object-oriented
programming techniques", and includes the TIFF conversion utility  as part of
a larger implementation.

	-- Brian