In article <91166.145707JJJ101@psuvm.psu.edu> JJJ101@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

   From: JJJ101@psuvm.psu.edu
   Newsgroups: comp.lang.smalltalk
   Date: 15 Jun 91 18:57:07 GMT

   I posted once before asking where I could find a Smalltalk-80
   public domain compiler for the IBM PC or Mac. No response.

   Now I'm looking for any ST-80 package on Amiga, IBM PC, Mac, or
   Unix. PD is preferred, but I'd possibly buy one.

GNU Smalltalk is available for anonymous FTP from

    prep.ai.mit.edu:pub/gnu/smalltalk-1.1.tar.Z

It implements almost all of Smalltalk-80 as described in the "Blue Book",
has a mechanism for invoking external C functions, and has a primitive X
interface.  It runs on Unix boxes and Amigas, but there are no ports to the
other machines that you mentioned.

Steve

manis@cs.ubc.ca (Vincent Manis) (06/18/91)

In article <91166.145707JJJ101@psuvm.psu.edu> JJJ101@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Now I'm looking for any ST-80 package on Amiga, IBM PC, Mac, or
>Unix. PD is preferred, but I'd possibly buy one.

Someone else posted details on GNU Smalltalk, but there are 3 other
implementations which are worth looking at:

1) ParcPlace Smalltalk-80: this is, needless to say, The Real Thing.
Costs about US$3500, but very deep discounts are available to
educational institutions.

2) Digitalk Smalltalk/V: versions exist for DOS, the Mac, Windows, and
OS/2 PM. Costs range from US$99 to US$499 for various configurations,
with a flat 60% discount for educational use. Digitalk's language is
pretty much the same as ParcPlace's, but its class library (especially
the user interface classes) is very different.

3) Little Smalltalk: a version of the language which is suitable for
very small projects. Not quite compatible with Smalltalk-80. PD; you can
ftp it from (as I recollect) cs.orst.edu.

--
\    Vincent Manis <manis@cs.ubc.ca>      "There is no law that vulgarity and
 \   Department of Computer Science      literary excellence cannot coexist."