[comp.lang.lisp] Lexical .vs. dynamic scoping

guest@wang7.UUCP (guest account) (01/12/87)

Could anyone tell me the names of a few books which describe the different
scoping methods in  LISP somewhat more thoroughly than Winston & Horn?

ehl@cogsci.berkeley.edu (Edward H. Lay) (01/14/87)

In article <182@wang7.UUCP> guest@wang7.UUCP (guest account) writes:
>Could anyone tell me the names of a few books which describe the different
>scoping methods in  LISP somewhat more thoroughly than Winston & Horn?

Digital Press, the publishers of the Common Lisp standard reference manual
has also come out with an excellent introduction to Common Lisp by Deborah
Tatar entitled "A Programmer's Guide to Common Lisp."

If you're interested in the latest ideas in lexical scoping, try the
detailed book on the implementation and use of Scheme -- "The
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" by Hal Abelson and
Gerry Sussman, from MIT Press.

sharma@uicsrd.CSRD.UIUC.EDU (01/19/87)

	There is quite an extensive discussion of variable scoping in LISP
	in "The Art of the Interpreter" - Steele and Sussman, 1978. It is a
	Tech Report from the MIT AI Laboratory (AI Memo #453).

						Madhumitra Sharma
						Univ of Illinois
						sharma@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu