[comp.lang.lisp] Interfacing 4.3BSD Unix C to Franz Lisp

bart@reed.UUCP (02/03/87)

I haven't been able to find an answer to this question around here,
so excuse me if it's obvious:

	I want to write a series of functions in 4.3BSD Unix C, to
be called from Franz Lisp, which accept Franz strings and return
same.  The Franz manual is only mildly informative, as is the
system document.  The manual contains a reference to a paper
entitled "Parlez-Vous Franz?  An Informal Introduction to Interfacing
Foreign Functions to Franz Lisp" [James R. Larus, Center for Pure
and Applied Mathematics, UCB, report PAM-124] which looks just like
what I want.  Is there any easy way for me to obtain a copy of this?
Is there other info I want?

	I assume the right thing to do is to somehow allocate a
lispval in the lisp address space, and then return it from a BCD
function of discipline "function".  Am I even close?

	Any help *greatly* appreciated.  Summary of replies upon
request.  And again, my apologies if this is a stupid question...

					Bart Massey
					..tektronix!reed!bart

jbn@glacier.UUCP (02/03/87)

      This subject was covered adequately in the original Franz Lisp
manual (October, 1980), in section 8.4, "Foreign Subroutines and
Functions", in the "Functions and Macros" chapter.  I don't believe
that this section was deleted from any of the Berkeley Software
Distribution versions of the Franz system.

				John Nagle

jeffr@sri-spam.UUCP (02/04/87)

In article <15320@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:

>      This subject was covered adequately in the original Franz Lisp
>manual (October, 1980), in section 8.4, "Foreign Subroutines and
>Functions", in the "Functions and Macros" chapter.  I don't believe
>that this section was deleted from any of the Berkeley Software
>Distribution versions of the Franz system.
>
>				John Nagle

	A paper available from UCB (PAM-124), "Parlez-Vous Franz ?  An
	Informal Introduction to Interfacing Foreign Functions to Franz
	LISP," by James R. Larus, offers more information on the subject.

jeffr@sri-spam.UUCP (02/04/87)

In article <5180@reed.UUCP> bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey) writes:
>I haven't been able to find an answer to this question around here,
>so excuse me if it's obvious:
>
>	I want to write a series of functions in 4.3BSD Unix C, to
>be called from Franz Lisp, which accept Franz strings and return
>same.  The Franz manual is only mildly informative, as is the
>system document.  The manual contains a reference to a paper
>entitled "Parlez-Vous Franz?  An Informal Introduction to Interfacing
>Foreign Functions to Franz Lisp" [James R. Larus, Center for Pure
>and Applied Mathematics, UCB, report PAM-124] which looks just like
>what I want.  Is there any easy way for me to obtain a copy of this?
>Is there other info I want?

	I would like to apologize to the newsgroup for my previous
	followup posting which restated what the original poster
	already knew (!).  As penance, I called around UCB trying
	to find the source for PAM-124, but had no luck.  I then
	contacted James, who sent me the following.  So, there
	you have it.

Jeff,
	The tech report was published by the Math. Dept. here at
Berkeley for a variety of pointless reasons (PAM stands for Pure and
Applied Math).  I don't suggest anyone depend upon this report, unless
they are using the old Opus 38 version of Franz.  Franz Inc. has
considerably cleaned up the foreign function stuff and has documented
it in their manuals.  I'd suggest having this person contact Franz
Inc.

	Failing that, feel free to Xerox your copy and send it to
them.

/Jim

cox@ucbvax.UUCP (02/05/87)

In article <5180@reed.UUCP> bart@reed.UUCP (Bart Massey) writes:

>	I want to write a series of functions in 4.3BSD Unix C, to
>be called from Franz Lisp, which accept Franz strings and return
>same.  The Franz manual is only mildly informative, as is the
>system document.  The manual contains a reference to a paper
>entitled "Parlez-Vous Franz?  An Informal Introduction to Interfacing
>Foreign Functions to Franz Lisp" [James R. Larus, Center for Pure
>and Applied Mathematics, UCB, report PAM-124] which looks just like
>what I want.  Is there any easy way for me to obtain a copy of this?
>Is there other info I want?

Larus' paper has been largely integrated into the latest Franz Lisp
manual (which is for Opus 42.16, although Opus 43.1's is going to be
out soon) from Franz Inc.

	Charley Cox
	cox@renoir.berkeley.edu