[comp.lang.lisp] AT compatibles that runs GC286

neubauer@bsu-cs.UUCP (Paul Neubauer) (05/23/87)

In article <168700002@uiucdcsb>, chen@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>  I received the following responses on my earlier query concerning
> AT compatibles that are able to run either Gold Hill 286 or Hummingboard.
       [several responses]
>   For your comaprison, the following is a list
	(edited)
> of the AT compatibles
> that have been tested by Gold Hill (from Gold Hill's Compatibility List,
> dated March 4, 1987). If you find some of the entries cryptic,
> your guess on their meanings is as good as mine.
> Computer		286		Hummingboard
> Compaq Deskpro 286	yes 		yes
> Compaq Portable II	yes 		yes
> Compaq Portable III	?		?
> Compaq 286 Portable	yes 		yes
> Kaypro 286I		***		?
> PC Limited 286	no		?
> Zenith 241		BIOS V1.7+	?
> Zenith 248		BIOS V1.7 only	?

This is an extremely interesting and strange list.  Apparently when Gold
Hill says that their Lisp works on IBM's and "100% compatibles" they mean
100% and not 99%.  I had been thinking very seriously about buying a
low-priced but high-speed AT clone and GC286, but I certainly have to worry
about what these results mean.  Some of the systems on which GCL does not
work, or works with some restrictions, are very highly thought of for
compatibility, e.g. the Kaypro and the Zenith.  What I had also gathered was
that the AT clones in general tended to be reasonably compatible, even at
the low end.  Interestingly, too, yesterday I received a solicitation from
Microsoft to buy their OS2 developer's package, which came with a list of
some suggested development systems.  Among those suggestions from Microsoft
were the two Zenith models above, but only with BIOS versions 1.9 and
later.  In other words, it looks like Gold Hill's possible systems and those
that are to be supported by Microsoft are mutually exclusive.  This does not
inspire confidence on my part.  If Gold Hill's products are this hardware
dependent and poorly behaved, I have to wonder what Gold Hill is planning to
do about the new PS2's.  Will they create their later versions to run only
on them?  I realize that buying GCL does not give one a Lisp Machine, but
ergonometrically speaking, I for one am certainly not willing to even
consider using EMACS (or GMACS) with a keyboard that has NEITHER the CTRL
key nor the ESC key in any reasonably accessible location.  IBM seems to be
moving inexorably toward crazier and crazier keyboards, and the PC/RT
"enhanced" keyboard looks to be designed for DisplayWrite and nothing else.
I hope Gold Hill is listening and intends to clean up its act, because
wedding its Lisp to IBM hardware seems like a disaster for anybody that
intends to do Lisp development on MS-DOS systems.  The more specific the
system is to particular hardware, the less the incentive to develop the
product in the first place.  The MS-DOS market for software may originally
have been able to aim at running on IBM PC's (and to h**l with the rest of
the world), but that is no longer the case.  Well-behaved applications are
expected now and if a program is not well-behaved, it is not very likely to
survive.  If Lotus, Intel, Microsoft, Ashton-Tate and most of the other big
hardware and software houses can (more or less) agree on things like
expanded memory and the like, then Gold Hill should be able to make GCLisp
at least reasonably well behaved.
  Yes, I know I have been flaming, but I think it is a d**n shame that
GCLisp looks so untrustworthy.  I have an application that I had been
thinking of developing in Lisp, but I will probably choose a better behaved
environment for it than GCLisp (possibly Prolog, maybe even TurboProlog),
because I cannot afford not to be able to trust my development tools.
--
{ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!nen j.  I