[net.movies] Agatha Christie Movies

mathur@alberta.UUCP (Ambrish Mathur) (01/11/86)

In article <4315@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> steiner@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Dave Steiner) writes:
>I'm interested in getting a list of all the Agatha Christie mysteries
>that have been made into movies.  The ones I know of are:
>
>Murder on the Orient Express
>Death on the Nile
>Evil Under the Sun

 "Dead Man's Folly" was shown on tv this week. Some oldies include
"Murder She Said", "Witness For The Prosecution". Also perhaps
"Cat O'Nine Tails".

--Ambrish Mathur
...ihnp4!alberta!mathur

briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (01/30/86)

>> There was a version of `Ten Little Niggers' made in French,
>
>Correct title.  I believe the book (and the play from it) were
>retitled "Ten Little Indians" in the US.

Wasn't the original source for this the Agatha Christie novel "And Then There
Were None?"  As I recall, the ending of the book is a MUCH better surprise
than the movie "Ten Little Indians," though that's a fun movie too.

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.

P.S. - Just checked my copy of "And Then There Were None," and the jacket claims
it as the source for the movie. . .

gkloker@utai.UUCP (Geoff Loker) (01/31/86)

In article <481@tekig4.UUCP> briand@tekig4Diehm.UUCP (Brian Diehm) writes:
>>> There was a version of `Ten Little Niggers' made in French,
>>
>>Correct title.  I believe the book (and the play from it) were
>>retitled "Ten Little Indians" in the US.
>
>Wasn't the original source for this the Agatha Christie novel "And Then There
>Were None?"  As I recall, the ending of the book is a MUCH better surprise
>than the movie "Ten Little Indians," though that's a fun movie too.

Yes and no.  "And Then There Were None" was the original source, but
it was originally titled "Ten Little Niggers" in England, re-titled
"Ten Little Indians" when it came out in North America, and later
re-titled "And Then There Were None" in both England and North America.

There was a stage play written by Agatha Christie based on the book,
but she revised the ending a little so that it would play better. The
murderer stayed the same, though.

I know of three or four movie versions of "And Then There Were None",
pretty well all based on the play.  One of the worst of the lot involved
major revisions to the tale, relocating it to a cabin atop a mountain
connected to the rest of the world only by a cable car.  There was just
enough of the original story left to be recognizable, but that was it.

--
Geoff Loker
Department of Computer Science

USENET:	{ihnp4 decwrl utzoo uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!gkloker
CSNET:		gkloker@toronto
ARPANET:	gkloker.toronto@csnet-relay