[comp.lang.lisp] Good book

craig@ncrcpx.UUCP (R. Craig Peterson) (07/23/87)

Does anyone know of any good books on learning to use LISP?

I'm currently using GNU Emacs, and am thinking about getting the full
distribution from the foundation which includes a "PD" Lisp which
apprears to have been derrived from MIT Scheme.  It would be best if
the book(s) spoke about a LISP dialect which was similar to that used
in the Scheme package.

Any helpful hints/suggestions would be appreciated!

--
R. Craig Peterson		"Don't speak unkindly of the Gods...
ihnp4!ncr-sd!ncrlnk!		 You never know when one may be listening!"

rusty@vertigo.UUCP (M.W.HADDOCK) (07/24/87)

In article <120@ncrcpx.UUCP> craig@ncrcpx.UUCP writes:

>Does anyone know of any good books on learning to use LISP?
>
>I'm currently using GNU Emacs, and am thinking about getting the full
>distribution from the foundation which includes a "PD" Lisp which
>apprears to have been derrived from MIT Scheme.

It is MIT SCHEME.   Although Gnu in its own right has a LISP that can
be used for a learn experience.

>It would be best if
>the book(s) spoke about a LISP dialect which was similar to that used
>in the Scheme package.

The best book is Abelson, Sussman,and Sussman's "Structure and
Intrepretation of Computer Programs", MIT Press I believe.
Others either have books or will have books coming out for
the Scheme dialect of LISP.

If you have access to an IBM-PC or compatible then you may be
better off purchasing Texas Instruments's "PC Scheme".  This
will give you windows and graphics plus some very good manuals
to boot.   Retail for Version 2.x is still $95 while some mail
order places have it for $80-90 depending.   There have been
good to great reviews given by Dr. Dobbs, PC Tech Journal,
BYTE (flawed!), and other magazines with in the past year,
year and a half.   Oh, yes, I worked on it while I was at TI
so you "may" wanna take this with a grain of salt although most
everyone else says it's a good product.

>R. Craig Peterson
>ihnp4!ncr-sd!ncrlnk!ncrcam!ncrcpx!craig

			Rusty Haddock
			AT&T Consumer Products Laboratories
			Holmdel, New Joysey
			{ihnp4,cbosgd,rutgers!moss}!vertigo!rusty