[comp.lang.lisp] Coral Lisp???

mdc@eddie.MIT.EDU (Martin Connor) (07/27/87)

[apologies if this is a duplicate.]

In article <752@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> you write:
>In article <6646@dartvax.UUCP> waltervj@dartvax.UUCP (walter jeffries) writes:
>>Anyone know anything about the new Coral Lisp for the Macintosh?
>
>I saw it demoed at AAAI.  It looked good and cheap ($200 to Universities).
>It is Franz CommonLisp implemented for the Mac II.  It is a full
>set.  It compiles to native code.  It has an emacs with goodies
>like meta-point.  It will be ready "real soon now".

Coral Lisp is NOT an implementation of Franz.  Franz did nothing at
all for Coral, except lend their name to Coral's finished product.
Coral recently released Coral Object Logo, which was written in Coral
Lisp, long before Franz showed up on the scene.  This is not meant to
imply that the lisp is not good.  It is *very* good, just that the
credit for the lisp should not go to Franz.  It should go to the
hackers who worked for so little to make it good.

Most of Coral Lisp is written in tight, fast assembler, and the
compiler is especially fast.  It will run on a 1Mb Mac{+,II,SE}.  It
has an object system, extensible emacs-like editor, and full toolbox
access.  Since it was used to do the Logo, and since it was developed
on Macs, Prodigys and II's (and since I know the people who wrote it)
it is pretty damn solid.

This is a very good lisp, and I would certainly recommend it to anyone
who wants a good CommonLisp for their Mac.  They are within a couple
weeks of shipping as of today.  Franz may do marketing under some
cutsie name.  Get it because it's good and fast.

Disclaimer:

I used to work for Coral, and have friends there.  I still call
'em as I see 'em.