[comp.lang.lisp] Franz/Common ?

yee@cgl.ucsf.edu (dave yee) (09/14/87)

I have a few questions for you Lisp-people.  Our group
has been using Lisp to develop algorithms addressing
the protein stability/folding problem. (not that this has
anything to do with the questions I am about to ask...)
Now all of our programs have been written in Franz Lisp,
running on an 11/750.  We have now switched to Sun 3/50
workstations and a 3/280 and have beeen getting a little
encouragement to convert to Sun Common Lisp..

So, upon this background, I now pose the follwing questions...

(1) Does anyone have a opinions concerning Common vs Franz in
    terms of flexibility, speed, general usefulness, or
    intangibles?  I ask this because we are going to need
    some activation energy to covert our programs from
    Franz to Common...

(2) Is there, or has any heard of, a Franz to Common Lisp
    translation program?  (I had to try...)

(3) I would also
    be very interested in information regarding
    Lisp to C  translaters.

I suppose it would be best to E-mail any responses.  I
thank any of you who can give me some information....

Thanks!

--
-dave:
      ARPA:   yee@cgl.ucsf.edu         "Language is a

eer@ritcv.UUCP (Ed Reed) (09/19/87)

In article <10400@cgl.ucsf.EDU> yee@cgl.ucsf.edu (dave yee) writes:

>Now all of our programs have been written in Franz Lisp,
>running on an 11/750.  We have now switched to Sun 3/50
>workstations and a 3/280 and have beeen getting a little
>encouragement to convert to Sun Common Lisp..

Talk to Franz, Inc. directly - their code runs on suns, and their
Franz Extended Common Lisp (now, Allegra (sp?) Common Lisp) does too.
It might not be necessary to change your code at all.

Further, you should be aware that Sun Common Lisp (presently Lucid)
is about to change to be based on Allegra - from Franz, and that might
make a difference too.  I have not tried to convert any Franz code
to Franz Extended Common code, but I take the 'Extended' to say that
there are (probably) remnants of the Franz Lisp code on which you
may build.

Ed

Ed Reed - Rochester Institute of Technology
phone:    (716) 334-3006
Delphi:   EERTEST
GEnie:    SQA.INC
Usenet:   ...rochester!ritcv!eer

tsf@theory.cs.cmu.edu (Timothy Freeman) (09/23/87)

In article <663@ritcv.UUCP> eer@ritcv.UUCP (Ed Reed) writes:
>Further, you should be aware that Sun Common Lisp (presently Lucid)
>is about to change to be based on Allegra - from Franz, and that might
>make a difference too.

How do you know this?  I currently use Lucid Common Lisp on a Sun, so
if your statement is true, that makes a difference to me.
--
Tim Freeman

Arpanet: tsf@theory.cs.cmu.edu
Uucp:    ...!seismo!theory.cs.cmu.edu!tsf