[comp.lang.lisp] Lisp standard?

kyle@xanth.UUCP (Kyle Jones) (11/06/87)

Does anyone know of an effort similar to ANSI's X3J11 committee (which
is developing a standard for the C language) to standardize Lisp?

Does anyone even have a list of functions that I can expect to be
consistent between different Lisps?  I've done a considerable amount
of work with Lisp but with only two flavors, so I'd appreciate

kyle jones  <kyle@odu.edu>  old dominion university, norfolk, va  usa

pavel@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Pavel Curtis) (11/06/87)

The ANSI committee X3J13 was created to standardize the language
Common Lisp, as originally documented in "Common Lisp: the Language",
by Guy Steele.  It is generally recognized that Common Lisp is now and
will remain the primary standard for Lisp for the near future (say, a
decade).

You asked about a specification for what things are likely to remain
the same.  I recommend the book by Steele.  There is no better
specification right now.  Ongoing design and other questions take
place on the ARPAnet mailing list Common-Lisp@SAIL.Stanford.Edu.  This
list is not available on the USENET and is not likely to be made so.

	Pavel Curtis
	Xerox PARC
	Member, X3J13

In article <3227@xanth.UUCP> kyle@xanth.UUCP (Kyle Jones) writes:
>Does anyone know of an effort similar to ANSI's X3J11 committee (which
>is developing a standard for the C language) to standardize Lisp?

Yes, X3J13 is the technical committee working on a standard for Common
Lisp.  It has been in existence for about a year.

>Does anyone even have a list of functions that I can expect to be
>consistent between different Lisps?  I've done a considerable amount
>of work with Lisp but with only two flavors, so I'd appreciate

There aren't many universal Lisp functions.  Off the top of my head I
come up with CAR, CDR, CONS, LIST, SETQ, and the simple mathematical
functions (although they tend to differ about whether they are generic
and the types of results they return); most have COND, but some may
only have IF; RPLACA and RPLACD were pretty common until Common Lisp
replaced them with SETF.

Common differences among dialects include function defining (DEF vs.
DEFINE vs. DEFUN vs. ...), array creation and reference, structures,
I/O, and type-testing.

However, there are now a number of Common Lisp implementations for
different machines, and they are all mostly compatible, and this is
the basis of the ANSI standardization effort, so your best bet is to
write your programs in Common Lisp.  Until the standard comes out, the
most complete description of CL is in "Common Lisp: the Language", by
Guy L. Steele, Jr., published by Digital Press in 1984 and available
in most bookstores with a decent computer section.

---
Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
seismo!think!barmar

bruce@stride.Stride.COM (Bruce Robertson) (11/15/87)

In article <606@parcvax.Xerox.COM> pavel@parcvax.xerox.com.UUCP (Pavel Curtis) writes:

>Ongoing design and other questions take
>place on the ARPAnet mailing list Common-Lisp@SAIL.Stanford.Edu.  This
>list is not available on the USENET and is not likely to be made so.

Now, let's not be stuffy.  Anyone on USENET that has MX service from
an Internet host can be on this mailing list.
--

	Bruce Robertson
	bruce@stride.Stride.COM

pavel@parcvax.UUCP (11/20/87)

In article <694@stride.Stride.COM> (Bruce Robertson) writes:
>In article <606@parcvax.Xerox.COM> (Pavel Curtis) writes:
>>
>>Ongoing design and other questions take
>>place on the ARPAnet mailing list Common-Lisp@SAIL.Stanford.Edu.  This
>>list is not available on the USENET and is not likely to be made so.
>
>Now, let's not be stuffy.  Anyone on USENET that has MX service from
>an Internet host can be on this mailing list.

Actually, anyone on a UUCP host having MX mail-forwarding service can
be on the list.  However, USENET is not the same as UUCP.  USENET is
the set of hosts running the news system.  The Common-Lisp list will
likely never be a newsgroup so it will thus never be available on the
USENET.

	Pavel