[comp.lang.lisp] SUN COMMON LISP 3.0 from Franz - will it be used by SUN?

adams@crcge1.UUCP (Drew Adams) (06/13/88)

We so far haven't been able to get any information out  of SUN France
regarding which Common Lisp will end up being supported by  SUN.  The
result is that we  are developing  both in  Lucid Common  Lisp and in
Franz's Common Lisp (called by SUN Version 3.0 Beta test).   Rumor is
that the latter will NOT replace Lucid as the  standard SUN supported
language after all, but we would really like to know more
definitively.    Can  anyone  corroborate  or  invalidate the rumors?
Thanks.

--
Drew ADAMS, Laboratoires de Marcoussis, Centre de Recherche de la Compagnie
            Generale d'Electricite, Route de Nozay, 91460 MARCOUSSIS, FRANCE

mike@ists (Mike Clarkson) (07/03/88)

In article <3503@crcge1.UUCP>, adams@crcge1.UUCP (Drew Adams) writes:
> We so far haven't been able to get any information out  of SUN France
> regarding which Common Lisp will end up being supported by  SUN.  The
> result is that we  are developing  both in  Lucid Common  Lisp and in
> Franz's Common Lisp (called by SUN Version 3.0 Beta test).   Rumor is
> that the latter will NOT replace Lucid as the  standard SUN supported
> language after all, but we would really like to know more
> definitively.    Can  anyone  corroborate  or  invalidate the rumors?

My information is that Sun has still (as of 2 weeks ago) not made up
it's mind.  Seems that they feel that there are problems with both.

Sun had planned to release their Symbolic Programming Environment
on Sun 3.0, but eventually went ahead and released it under Lucid 2.1.

It seems that it's still up in the air.

--
Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike@ists.yorku.ca