[net.movies] Upcoming SF/Fantasy Films

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/14/85)

The LA Times Calendar section for this Sunday features their annual listing
of upcoming films.  They list ~250 films to be released in the next year.
I have here culled out those that, from the brief descriptions, appear to
be fantasy/SF films.  In a few case, I have included my own comments, in
brackets.  The releasing studio is in parenthesis at the end of the blurb.
I have included horror films which have fantasy/sf elements.

Winter

"The Company of Wolves"
	Angela Lansbury and David Warner are featured in this adult
adaptation of "Little Red Riding Hood".  [This was one of the best films
I saw at Filmex, the LA film festival, over the summer.  Very good.]
(Cannon)

"Creator"
	Peter O'Toole is Harry Wolper, an eccentric Nobel Laureate
biologist preoccupied with creating a copy of his wife, who died 30
years ago.  Mariel Hemingway and Vincent Spano help him discover that
life is in the present, not the past.  Directed by Ivan Passer.(Universal)

"Perils of Gwendolline"
	Fantasy adventure about a colorful heroine and a reluctant hero.
Stars Tawny Kitane. (Goldwyn) [Sounds cheap, but Goldwyn usually only
releases prestige films (we're not talking MGM here, but a small producing
company), so it might be OK.]

"The School Spirit"
	A comedy concerning a ghost-like jock who hovers around a high
school campus. (Almi)

"Superstition"
	An abandoned mansion is the site of unearthly terror. (Almi)

"Titan Find"
	Klaus Kinski leads a team of astronauts who inadvertantly
unleash a deadly alien force in the form of a horrifying 200,000
year old creature on Titan, Saturn's largest moon.  [Sounds  vaguely
familiar, doesn't it?]

Spring

"The Adventure of Hercules"
	Hercules (Lou Ferrigno) muscles his way into a war between
the gods to save Earth from certain destruction.  [Considering the last
Hercules picture with Ferrigno, this will probably be a real dog.] (Cannon)

"Baby"
	William Katt, Sean Young, and Patrick McGoohan star in an
adventure saga of a young couple who discover a family of dinosaurs
while on an expedition in Africa.  Directed by B.W.L. Norton.  [No,
I never heard of him or her either.  Any bets that McGoohna plays
either a). a kindly or not so kindly elder scientist, or b). a big
game hunter?]  (Disney)

"B.C. Rock"
	Animated feature set in prehistoric times with music by
Hall and Oates, Leo Sayer, and Rick Wakeman [Perhaps polishing up
bits and pieces of his "Journey to the Center of the Earth".]
(Almi) [Anyone know who these Almi guys are?  Sounds Italian, and
so does their release schedule.]

"Brazil"
	Monty Python's Terry Gilliam directs this "comedic nightmare"
about a bureaucratic state where, among other concerns, a character
named Tuttle (Robert De Niro) has his freedom saved because a beetle
falls into a computer.  Also stars Python cohort Michael Palin and
Jonathen Pryce.  [The latter is the real star.  De Niro's part is
apparently little more than a cameo.  Pryce, who is very up and
coming in the world of British theater/film/television, is best
known to American audiences as Mr. Dark in "Something Wicked This
Way Comes".]  (Universal)

"Defcon 4"
	Three astronauts return to a world ravaged by nuclear war and
must fend off crazed survivors as they confront a new and terrifying
reality.  (New World) [Which means it will be cheap, but not necessarily
bad.]

"Exterminators of the Year 3000"
	Action-adventure about the battle between a "Road Warrio" type
hero and nuclear mutants. (New Line)

"Ladyhawke"
	Rutger Hauer, Matthew Broderick, and Michell Pfeiffer are featured
in Richard Donner's exploration of the magical side of the Dark Ages.
[The coming attractions look good.]  (Warner Bros.)

"The Last Dragon"
	Music, dfhance, and martial arts mix it up in this Motown
production of an urban fairy tale set in New York City. [Maybe not
a fantasy film.]  (Tri-Star)

"The Lift"
	It's best to use the stairs in this Dutch-made horror film about
an elevator gone awry.  (Island Alive)  [Which doesn't usually release
cheap schlock]

"The Noah's Ark Principle"
	A scientist in an orbitting U.S. weather station is ordered by
the government to divert attention from American soldiers trapped fighting
a war in the Middle East.  [By broadcasting Arabic erotica instead of
weather forecasts, perhaps?]  (MGM/UA)

"Primal Urge"
	When an anthropology student is transported back in time
25,000 years, he tinds that prehistoric man is only half as interesting
as prehistoric woman.  (Crown)

"When the Rain Begins to Fall"
	The multifaceted Pia Zadora stars  in a spoof of beach movies,
science fiction and rock 'n' roll where six inch aliens grow to full
height after being removed from refrigeration.  Originally titled
"Voyage of the Rock Aliens".  Directed by James Fargo.

"Yellow Hair and the Fortress of Gold"
	A female Indian Jones type (Laurene Landon) sets off to find
an ancient Mayan fortune.  (Crown)

"Zombie Island Massacre"
	It's no quiet holiday when jet-set tourists discover a voodoo
ceremony on an island paradise.  Rita Jenrette (ex-wife of ex-
Congressman John Genrette) heads the cast.  [Sleazy to the max, no doubt.]
(Troma)

Early Summer

"Back to the Future"
	Steven Speilberg produces the story of a teenager who travels in
time.  Directed by Robert Zemeckis ("Romancins the Stone"), starring Eric
Stolz, Christopher LLoyd, Lea Thompson, and Crispin Glover. (Universal)

"The Black Cauldron"
	Based on Lloyd Alexander's award winning series of books, this
epic (and costly: $25 million and 10 years in the making) Disney animated
production chronicles the struggle to gain possession of a mysterious
force capable of producing an army of deathless warriors.  With an
original score by Elmer Bernstein.  (Disney)  (Erroneously reported in
last week's Calendar as opening in 1986.)  [Word from those who have
seen clips is very good indeed.  The animation is supposed to be superb.
Some hints of inappropriate comic relief have snuck out.  The main
villains are apparently scary enough that Disney expects a PG rating,
its first on an animated film.]

"The Bride"
	The Police's Sting stars as Baron Henry von Frankenstein, a
brilliant scientist who creates a beautiful female bride ("Flashdance's"
Jennifer Beals) for his well-known creature.  The baron decides, however,
to keep the girl for himself.  Directed by Franc Roddam ("Quadrophenia").
(Columbia)

"Goonies"
	Steven Spielberg's production involves a group of kids who
find themselves on a comical and magical adventure.  With Ke Huy Quan,
last seen as Harrison Ford's sidekick in "Indian Jones and the Temple
of Doom".  Directed by Richard Donner.  (Warner  Bros.)

"Life Force"
	The original title of this film, "Space Vampires", speaks best
for the story.  Stars "The Stunt Man's" Steve Railsback.  Directed by
Tobe Hooper ("Poltergeist").  (Tri-Star)

"Nuke 'Em High"
	Toxic waste seeps into the water supply of a high school, creating
school daze, so to speak, and unleashing a  monster on campus.  Richard
Haines ("Splatter University" directs.  (Troma)

"Red Sonja"
	Sonja is the female version of Conan the Barbarian.  Stars Arnold
Schwarzenegger (not playing Conan), Sandahl Bergman (another "Conan" alumnus)
and Brigette Nielson in the title role.  Directed by Richard Fleischer
("Conan the Destroyer").  (MGM/UA)

"Return to Oz"
	Dorothy Gale (newcomer Fairuza Balk) revisits the enchanted land
of Oz to rescue the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, and the Cowardly Lion from
the Nome King who has destroyed the Emerald City.  With Nicol Williamson,
Piper Laurie, and Jean Marsh.  Written and directed by Walter Murch, with
uncredited assistance from Geore Lucas and Steven Speilberg.  (Disney)

"Starchaser: the Legend of Orin"
	An animated 3-D film about a good boy and his space-age battles
with an evil villain.  [Sounds Japanese] (Atlantic)

"Teen Wolf"
	A horror-spoof comedy about a popular high school boy who suddenly
finds out that he's a werewolf.  (Atlantic)

"Thunder Women"
	The year is 2890, and savage Amazons rule the post-apocolyptic
wastelands of Colorado.  Two men escape from their female enslavers, and
before you know it, there is equality between the sexes.

Late Summer

"Cocoon"
	A group of elderly humans meet up with some young aliens who have
come to earth on a mission of mercy.  Stars Steve Guttenberg, Maureen
Stapleton, and Jessica Tandy.  Directed by Ron Howard.  (Fox)

"Explorers"
	Joe Dante ("Gremlins") directs the story of three 13-year-old
boys who create a spacecraft from spare parts found in a junkyard.
[Special makeup effects expert Rob Bottin is working on this film, so
it sounds like the kids will succeed in taking off.]  (Paramount)

"Fright Night"
	A 16-year-old boy, unable to persuade others that his
debonaire neighbor is really a murderous vampire, turns to the host
of a TV horro show for help.  (Columbia)

"The Heavenly Kid"
	Eighteen years after being killed in a car accident, a teen-ager
comes back as an angel to give another teen-ager a sense of self-worth.
(Orion)

"Legend"
	Director Ridley Scott's first film since "Blade Runner" stars
Tom Cruise as hermit Jack o' the Green.  The story follows the mythical
adventures of Jack  and a host of goblins, faeries, elves, pixies,
leprechauns, and unicorns.  (Universal)

"My Science Project"
	A fantasy-adventure about a teen-ager whose desperate search for
something to turn in as his science project results in a discovery so
extraordinary that his entire high school campus crashes through new
frontiers of science into a new dimension that no one ever knew
existed.  (Disney)  [Disney is going in very heavy for fantasy and sf
this year.]

"Road Warrior II"
	Mel Gibson is back for another go-round in the post-apocolyptic
future as Max finds a band of children living in a crack in the Earth.
George Miller, who made the original, co-directs.  Tina Turner co-stars.
[I don't like the sound of this "co-direction" business...] (Warner Bros.)

"The Stuff"
	The ice cream industry is in for a sudden thaw when "The Stuff"
becomes the food craze of the year.  But "The Stuff" turns out to be
shockingly worse for you than ice cream: it's an all-consuming parasite.
(New World)

"Weird Science"
	A teen-aged version of the "Frankenstein" story, with a pair of
awakening computer wizards creating their own very luscious monster -
played by model Kelly Le Brock.  Directed by John Hughs ("Mr. Mom") and
starring Anthony Michael Hall and Ilan Michael-Smith.  [ A fairly blantant
attempt to rip off "The Bride".]  (Universal)

"The Clan of the Cave Bear"
	Daryl Hannah stars in the film adaptation of Jean Auel's best-
selling book.  Hannah is Ayla, an orphaned Cro Magnon woman, who collides
with lesser Neanderthals.  Written by John Sayles ("Baby It's You"),
directed by Michael Chapman ("All the Right Moves").  (Warner Bros.)

"Free Spirit"
	Glenn Close, Mandy Patinkin and Ruth Gordon star in a story of
a movie flapper of the 1920s who returns from the dead and saves a
marriage in crisis.  (Orion)

"Return of the Living Dead"
	Not to be confused with George Romero's opuses.  Corpses come
to life to seek the brains of living humans in this campy horror film.
With Clu Gulager.  Screenwriter Dan O'Bannon ("Alien") makes his
directorial debut.  (Orion)

Christmas

"Enemy Mine"
	"Das Boot's" Wolfgang Petersen directs this tale of two enemy
space pilots - one human (Dennis Quaid), the other not (Lou Gosset, Jr.)-
as they fight and learn to respect each other in a distant galaxy.
(Fox)

"Santa Claus - The Movie"
	Santa (David Huddleston) must save his activist elf (Dudley
Moore) from a greedy toy tycoon (John Lithgow) in this modern day
adventure.  Jeannot Szwarc directs this reported $50 million venture by
"Superman's" Ilya and Alexander Salkind, making it the most expensive
film of 1985 - so far.  [My bet is that Santa saves Moore from Lithgow,
but that no one can save the movie from Szwarc.  $50 million down the tubes,
and I'm glad I'm not one of the Salkind's investors on this one.]  (Tri-Star)

No Release Date announced

"Frog Dreaming"
	"E.T.'s" Henry Thomas stars in a mystery adventure about a boy
whose father is killed in Vietnam.  [Mark Leeper says that Variety listed
this as a fantasy film.]

"Radioactive Dreams"
	Two young men emerge from a bomb shelter after spending 20 years
reading pulp novels, then dodge disco and surfer mutants as they search for
the keys necessary to launch the last MX missile.  [Sound like real fun guys.]

Very tentative stuff

"The Navigator"
	directed by John Avildsen ("The Karate Kid"), about a 15-year-old
Rip Van Winkle who tries to pilot a flying saucer back in time.  (Disney)

"Poltergeist II"
	Starring JoBeth Williams with special effects by Richard Edlund
("2010").  (MGM/UA)

"Star Trek IV"  (Paramount)

"Silver Bullet" From a Stephen King story. (Paramount)
--

        			Peter Reiher
        			reiher@ucla-cs.arpa

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (01/15/85)

In article <3194@ucla-cs.ARPA> reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
>[...]
>"Perils of Gwendolline"
>	Fantasy adventure about a colorful heroine and a reluctant hero.
>Stars Tawny Kitane. (Goldwyn) [Sounds cheap, but Goldwyn usually only
>releases prestige films (we're not talking MGM here, but a small producing
>company), so it might be OK.]

I wonder if this is related to the rather kinky 'comic strip' Perils
of Gwendoline, in which Gwendoline seems to spend most of her time being
tied up in wierd restraints while wearing scanty garments?

>"The Black Cauldron"
>	[...]
>Some hints of inappropriate comic relief have snuck out.

Why inappropriate?  The book is full of comic relief.  It's one of the
things that makes it so good!  I recommend it (and the others in the
series) to any lover of fine fantasy.
--
"The universe is not user-friendly." -- Kelvin Throop

Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

vljohnson@watrose.UUCP (Lee Johnson) (01/17/85)

> Christmas
>
> "Enemy Mine"
> 	"Das Boot's" Wolfgang Petersen directs this tale of two enemy
> space pilots - one human (Dennis Quaid), the other not (Lou Gosset, Jr.)-
> as they fight and learn to respect each other in a distant galaxy.
> (Fox)

Is this based on Barry B. Longyear's story of the same name?  If so, this
is a movie I want to see!

Regards,
Lee Johnson

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/06/86)

Here is a list of the science fiction and fantasy films which are
scheduled for release in 1986.  The list is culled from a list of
all films to be released.  The list was in the Calendar section of
the Sunday LA Times of January 12th.  It was compiled by Pat H. Broeske.

The blurbs attached are from that article.  In a few cases, I have
added my own comments, in brackets.  The films are listed in order
of release (generally speaking), and alphabetically within the time
periods.  Not all of those listed are certain to be released.  Other
films of this type not on the list may also be released  (especially
cheap ones from small studios).  I have omitted films which seem to
be more horror oriented than fantasy/sf.  Releasing studio is listed
in parenthesis after the blurb.

January and February  (Most of these have already opened.)

"The Adventures of Mark Twain"  Fantasy-adventure written/directed by
Will Vinton in his Claymation process.  [This seems to be a love-it or
hate-it film.  I loved it.  Mark Leeper hated it.](Atlantic)

"Critters" - Campy thriller about the invasion of a small Oklahoma town
by alien carnivores with razor-sharp teeth and porcupine quills and
a pair of alien bounty hunters (from their galaxy) on their trail.
Billy Green Bush, Dee Wallace, M. Emmet Walsh. (New Line Cinema)

"The Dirt Bike Kid" - Not unlike Jack of "Jack and the Beanstalk",
a boy (Peter Billingsley) disobeys his mom's instructions when he's
sent to the store and buys a magical dirt bike.  Adventures follow.
(Concorde/Cinema Group)

"The Eliminators" - Half human android (named Mandroid), a beautiful
scientist, a mercenary, and a ninja exact revenge on a mad scientist.
(Empire)

"Hands of Steel" - Futuristic action-adventure tale about an android
(with hands that can penetrate steel) hired to kill the world's last
environmentalist.  (Things have gotten pretty murkey on the planet.)
[I wonder if Harlan Ellison can successfully sue these guys, too.]
(Almi Pictures)

"Terrorvision" - Horror/comedy about an intergalactic garbage monster
that enters a nutty family's home via their satellite dish and through
their television.  With Mary Woronov, Gerrit Graham, Bert Remsen, Diane
Franklin. (Empire)

"Troll" - When the Potter family moves into the apartment building at
Mockingbird Lane, they're unaware that Torok the Troll is making himself
comfy in the laundry room.  (Empire)

Spring

"Aurora Encounter" - Three school children befriend the alien pilot of
a UFO in 1897 Aurora, Texas.  They try to convince townspeople of the
alien's existence while saving him from a government agent.  Jack Elam,
Peter Brown, Spanky ("Our Gang") McFarland, singer Dottie West.  [Not
again!]  (New World) [With a studio like this, we can at least hope
that the alien winds up dismembering Spanky on screen.]

"Bio-Hazard" - Fred Olin Ray directs the tale of an alien from another
dimension who's a scout for a planned invasion.  With Aldo Ray. (21st
Century)

"The Boy Who Could Fly" - An autistic youngster named Eric sits on a
second story ledge, hums like an airplane, and believes he can fly.
And, guess what?  With Lucy Deakins, Fred Savage, Bonnie Bedelia,
Fred Gwynne, Colleen Dewhurst, Louis Fletcher.  Directed by Nick Castle.
(Fox)

"Ghost Warrior" - A Samurai warrior, trapped frozen in ice over centuries,
is defrosted in contemporary Los Angeles.  Starring Hiroshi Fujioka,
the "Don Johnson of Japan" (says the distributor).  (Empire)

"The Highlander" - Antagonists who don't age or die struggle for power
in a saga that takes them from a remote 16th-century Scotland to a
battle in present-day Manhattan.  Sean Connery, Christopher Lambert,
Roxanne Hart, Clancy Brown. (Fox)

"Pleasure Planet" - Outer space meets rock 'n roll under the direction
of Albert Puhn. (Empire)

"Star Crystal" - A routine expedition to Mars in the year 2035 turns up
a curious rock that an astronaut pockets.  He'll wish he hadn't: The
rock encases a tiny creature that grows in size and intellect and
murderous thought.  (New World) [Nearly the perfect description of a
modern New World picture, lacking only the detail that the creature likes
to rip the cloths off its female victims before dispatching them.  I'll
bet it does, though.]

"Zone Troopers" - Extraterristrial soldier assists the allies battle the
Nazis in this WWII-science fiction tale. [A still from this film makes it
look really cheap and hokey.] (Empire)

Summer

"Aliens" - Sigorney Weaver returns as chief warrant officer Ripley, sole
survivor of the starship Nostromo's encounter with the extraterrestrial
of 1979's box-office smash.  This time, as written/directed by James
Cameron, she returns to the site of the original terror and encounters
more than one of the nasty title creatures.  Michael Biehn, Paul Reiser,
Lance Henrickse. (Fox)

"Big Trouble in Little China" - Director John Carpenter and Kurt Russell
reteam for a mystical action-adventure-comedy-kung-fu-monster-ghost-story,
about the imaginary world beneath Chinatown that's inhabited by ghosts.
Kim Catrall, James Hong, Victor Wong, Kate Burton (daughter of Richard).
Scripted by W. D. Richter [of "Buckaroo Banzai".] (Fox)

"Cherry 2000" - When his robot playmate has an internal meltdown, lonely
guy David Andrews goes in search of the parts needed for repair.  His
journey into the lawless zone, circa 2017, forces him to team with a real
woman, Melanie Griffith, which means he soon discovers there's more to
love than hot wiring. (Orion)

"The Fly" - David Cronenberg co-wrote/directed this remake of the 1958
Vincent Price horror classic about a scientist whose atoms are scrambled
with those of a housefly during an experiment with matter transmission.
Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis, John Getz. (Fox)

"Flight of the Navigator" - A 12-year-old boy goes the Rip Van Winkle
route - leaving home on an errand and returning eight years later, only
to learn he hasn't aged a day.  Directed by Randal Kleiser. (Buena Vista)
[I.E., either Disney or its mature-film company, Touchstone.]

"Harry and the Hendersons" - Steven Spielberg is exec-producer of this
comedy about a typical American family whose lives are turned around
when they run into an unusual creature.  [Deja vu ... ] Written/directed
by William Dear. (Universal)

"Howard the Duck" - George Lucas is the exec director [say what?] of this
live action comedy based on the Marvel Comics ducky.  With Lea Thompson,
Jeffrey Jones, Tim Robbins.  Directed by Willard Huyck. (Universal)

"Hyper Sapiens" - The citizenry of Wyoming has a close encounter with
two runaway extraterrestrial teens and their creature in this comedy-
adventure directed by Peter Hunt.  With Sidney Penny and Keenan Wynn.
(Distributor Pending)

"Invaders From Mars" - Tobe Hooper directed remake of the 1953 sci-fi
favorite about an 11-year-old boy (Hunter Carson) who awakens one night
to watch an alien spacecraft land in the hills behind his home.  Over the
next three days, the boy tries to convince the authority figures around him
that something strange is going on... With Karen Black, Laraine Newman,
Timothy Bottoms, Louise Fletcher. (Cannon)

"Labyrinth" - Directed by Muppet master Jim Henson and exec produced by
George Lucas, this is an adventure-fantasy about a young girl's journey
through a multi-walled maze to rescue her baby brother who has been
kidnapped by David Bowie, ominous ruler of the labyrinth.  With only
three human characters, the film will feature a menagerie of new creatures.
[The coming attractions look great.  Does the synopsis remind anyone else
of Maurice Sendak's "Outside Over There"?] (Tri-Star)

"Legend" - Ridley Scott directed this fantasy-adventure about hermit Tom
Cruise who must do battle with the evil Lord of Darkness (Tim Curry) to
rescue Princess Mia Sara and free the universe from its curse of perpetual
winter.  With fairies, goblins, unicorns, and some mortals.  [Scheduled to
be released last year, "Legend" has gone through substantial changes,
including ripping out a supposedly excellent orchetral score to throw in
a rock score, drastic shortening, etc., all in the name of appealing to
teenagers.  The original version is supposed to be playing in Europe.  I
hope it eventually makes it over here.]  (Universal)

"Maximum Overdrive" - The Earth passes through the tail of a comet, turning
all machinery against man.  Stephen King scripted/directed.  Stars Emilio
Estevez.  (De Laurentiis Entertainment Group) [A business title many would
consider a contradiction in terms.]

"Poltergeist II: The Other Side" - After being terrorized in California,
the Freeling family moves to Phoenix - only to discover their nightmares
haven't ended.  Craig T. Nelson, JoBeth Williams, William Heather
O'Rourke, Oliver Robbins.  (MGM/UA)

"Short Circuit" - John Badham-directed high-tech adventure comedy about
a military weapons robot, named No. 5, who short-circuits (in a thunderstorm)
and becomes "alive" - and turns peacenik.  He's also chased by the
government and the scientist (Steve Guttenberg) who created him.  And he's
befriended by Ally Sheedy. [John Badham ("Wargames") again brings his,
shall we say, interesting views of computer science to the screen.  Which
doesn't bother me as much as the feeling that I will be able to predict
almost every single plot twist in this film.] (Tri Star)

"Spacecamp" - A summer at camp turns into an unexpected space shuttle
voyage for a group of teenaged astronaut trainees.  Kate Capshaw, Tate
Donovan, Leaf Phoenix, Kelly Preston, Larry B. Scott, Tom Skerrit, Lea
Thompson. [It will be interesting to see what happens to this film in the
light of the recent tragedy.  Will the studio fear charges of poor taste,
or will it crassly use the tragedy to promote its movie, or will it go
ahead just as if nothing had happened?] (Fox)

"Starship Redwing" - Science fiction tale (set in the year 2084) about
conflicts on a mining planet.  (Concorde/Cinema Group)

"Underworld" - The gothic meets the futuristic when mutant members of an
underworld realm - who live beneath the streets of a metropolis - incur
the wrath of a criminal underworld.  Denholm Elliott and Miranda Richardson.
[Elliott is a fine actor last seen in TV's "Bleak House".  How typical of
the acting profession, to move from Dickens to what sounds like cheap
exploitation.] (Empire)

Fall

"American Tail" - Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment will team with
animator Don Bluth for this animated tale of an immigrant mouse. (Warner
Bros)

"Robots Rule" - Futuristic Western about a robot ranch hand whose relationship
with a female human gets him in trouble with the authorities, leading to
a showdown between man and machinery.  Scripted/directed by Rospo Pallenberg.
(New World)

"Spellcaster" - Filmed in an authentic Roman castle, this one's about a
group of people who've been summoned for a treasure hunt that results in
magical legends - courtesy of a Merlin-like wizard. (Empire)

"Test Tube Teens From the Year 2000" - Futuristic comedy with a 1950s
slant - in which a couple of dudes from the 80s are put into hibernation
and reawaken in the year 2000 when teens have reverted to '50s-ish
mannerisms (like "Oh gee") and '50s-ish morals - which means the guys have
their work cut out for them when they find themselves on a "female farm"
where the gals pine about finding Mr. Right.  Oh golly! [Sounds like a
cheap ripoff of an excellent Polish film, "Sex Mission".  Also sounds
incredibly sexist and offensive.] (Empire)

Christmas

"Batteries Not Included" - The plot to this one is being kept under wraps,
but it's said to involve flying saucers - a familiar stamping ground for
exec producer Steven Spielberg.  Matthew Robbins directs.  (Universal)

"King Kong Lives!" - The beast, whom we presumed dead after toppling from
the World Trade Center (silly us), apparently is alive and well.  John
Guillerman, who directed the 1976 remake, again directs.  Cast not yet
announced.  [One of the few cases I've heard of where they make a sequel to
a flop.] (DeLaurentiis Ent.)

"Spiderman" - Bitten by a radioactive spider, a man attains newfound strength
and the ability to sense criminal evil, becoming Spiderman - defender of
law and order.  Joseph Zito directs, based on Stan Lee's Marvel Comics
character. (Cannon)

"Star Trek IV" - The Enterprise takes off again.  Leonard Nimoy stars and
directs who else but William Shatner, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, Walter
Koenig, George Takei, Nichelle Nichols. (Paramount)

No Announced Release Date

"Booby Trap" - Futristic tale set in (what's left of) Southern California,
circa 1998,about an 18-year-old who, accompanied by his girl and a robot
named Winston, takes revenge on a gang that attacked him.  (Distributor
pending)

"Little Shop of Horrors" - Based on the Off-Broadway musical (which was
based on Roger Corman's 1960 cult flick) about a botanical genius and
his bloodthirsty Venus flytrap.  Frank Oz directs Rick Moranis, Steve
Martin, Ellen Greene, John Candy.  [And Bill Murray in a cameo.] (Warner
Bros)

"Trackers: 2180" - Michael Pare and Richard Farnsworth team for a prison
break on a futuristic colonized desert planet. (Vestron)

And some which might or might not get made:

"Blue Plaid Sneakers" - fantasy-comedy-romance. (Atlantic)

"Creature" - Youngsters find and protect a mysterious young forest creature
found in a magical woods.  (New World)

"Heros for Hire" - superhero adventure. (Atlantic)

"Making Mr. Right" - Susan Seidelman directs an ironic look at modern
romance - in which the perfect man turns out to be an android. (Orion)

"Robocop" - All about the future of law enforcement - as the body of a
cop who lies near death is used to create a mechanical robot with a
human memory.  (Orion)

And a few final comments.  Notice how many sf/fantasy films are being
released by companies like Empire and New World.  Most of these will
stink.  Of the majors, only Fox seems to have very many sf/fantasy films
coming out.  (Universal has several Spielberg produced films coming out.)
Even among the major studios, the emphasis is in predictability, with
a flood of robot/android movies sporting interchangeable plots.  Also
several sequels and one or two presold films based on other mediums.
Only a very few original sounding films are coming out in the sf/fantasy field.
It may be that this will be a big sf/fantasy year quantitatively, but
qualitatively, it sounds poor.
--
        			Peter Reiher
				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

colonel@ellie.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (02/14/86)

[You choke over your food --More--]

> "Little Shop of Horrors" - Based on the Off-Broadway musical (which was
> based on Roger Corman's 1960 cult flick) about a botanical genius and
> his bloodthirsty Venus flytrap.

And Corman's movie was based loosely on some stories by John Collier.
(Sort of Roald Dahl with a sense of humor.)

	"If you like our food, tell us.  If not, tell your friends.
	 Uh, hold on, that's not right ..."
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel