[net.movies] "Raiders of the Lost Arc" question

bright@dataioDataio.UUCP (Walter Bright) (02/04/86)

In article <1930@rayssd.UUCP> djb@rayssd.UUCP (Douglas J. Bonn) writes:
>A friend of mine noticed a bug in "Raiders of the Lost Arc", and I thought
>I'd post this to the net to generate some discussion.
>Once the ship is stopped, the girl (Marion) and the Arc are captured, and
>Our Hero swims onto the U-Boat, it seems that he stays on that it for several
>hundred miles. How long could Indiana Jones hide on top of a U-boat without
>dying of thirst, hunger, exposure, etc?  And if the U-boat submerged at all in
>that period of time, then Indy would have been shark food!

Not only that, but U-boats, while on the surface, had a watch posted
(to look out for enemy ships and airplanes). Also, because it stunk
below decks (they weren't called 'pig boats' for nothing), the crew
would use any excuse to be on deck in good weather.

There aren't many places to hide on the deck of a U-boat.

steven@haddock.UUCP (02/05/86)

 In Lawrence Kasdan's screenplay, Indy lassoes himself to the periscope
 of the U-Boat as it begins to submerge. The scene was never shot,
 probably for budgetary and story reasons (the Wurffler, by the way, was
 originally built for the German television miniseries and movie
 "Das Boot").

settle@siemens.UUCP (02/05/86)

My main objection besides his ride on the sub (I agree, there was definately
a bug there) is that we see the sub coasting in to a stop and wonder where
Indy is.  The next thing we see is him hiding behind some crates.  How did
he get there?  The place was crawling with guards.  However, those were the
only real slip-ups in the movie that I could find.

Ken Settle
Siemens RTL
Princeton, NJ

ihnp4!siemens!settle

ajf@pyuxa.UUCP (A Figura) (02/06/86)

I've always wondered that myself, but - hey! - this is Indiana Jones -
superhuman superhero! - he just held his breath!!!

While we're on inconsistencies in Raiders...

Another thing I';ve never figured out is how Marion
survives the truck explosion (when she's in that basket)?
You never see her get out of the basket or off the truck
before Indy blows it to smithereens.

And then there's the time....

Oh well, I guess that's why the critics call this a FANTASY adventure movie.

jsf@rlgvax.UUCP (Steven Fritzinger) (02/07/86)

> While we're on inconsistencies in Raiders...
>
> Another thing I';ve never figured out is how Marion
> survives the truck explosion (when she's in that basket)?
> You never see her get out of the basket or off the truck
> before Indy blows it to smithereens.

It's been awhile since I saw Raiders, but if I remember right during the scene
where they are carrying the basket through the market place there is a lot
of confusion, and several baskets identical to the one Marion is in.  The
basket was dropped, and the wrong one was picked up and loaded in the truck.
I think the man with the monkey saw that the wrong basket was put on the truck
and went back to grap Marion after things had settled down.

--

Steve Fritzinger
CCI-OSG Reston,Va.

GUY: "There's a ramp about 1/2 a mile ahead."
Jerry: "But I'll kill myself!"
Girl: "Oh, come on Jerry!"
Jerry: "I'll kill you too, you silly bitch!"

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) (02/07/86)

<<<<

A WW-2 Nazi sub would make its best time running on diesels and so
would not submerge on its way to the island. Besides there was one clue
everyone seems to have missed that told Indy the captain was not planning
to dive. Remember the nazi flag that was flying from the Sail? Those things
are always brought in before a sub dives. The only thing that was hard to
believe was that they were running with nobody on watch.

Docking a vessel is always a slow tedious operation. Indy's grandmother
could have jump off the sub and beat it to the dock.

John Eaton
!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

hedden@atux01.UUCP (D. Hedden) (02/10/86)

I seem to have missed the great geometry movie (Raiders of
the Lost Arc) you are all talking about, but I thought you
might like to know there are two other Indiana Jones movies
out; Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the
Temple of Doom.

   "The moving hand writes ..."

dianeh@ism780c.UUCP (Diane Holt) (02/11/86)

In article <1347@pyuxa.UUCP> ajf@pyuxa.UUCP (A Figura) writes:
>Another thing I';ve never figured out is how Marion
>survives the truck explosion (when she's in that basket)?
>You never see her get out of the basket or off the truck
>before Indy blows it to smithereens.

When Indy finds Marion being held captive in the tent at the dig, he
realizes (and even mumbles) that they must have switched baskets.

Diane Holt
INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
(east coast:) ihnp4!ima!ism780!dianeh
(west coast:) decvax!vortex!ism780!dianeh

"Bad dates!"

cc-30@cory.BERKELEY.EDU (Sean "Yoda" Rouse) (02/13/86)

The one major problem I had with Raiders was all of those Nazi soldiers
in Egypt. I don't think the British would stand for such a thing, seeing
as they were running Egypt at the time.

As for the sub...
As someone else mentions, it does dive..
	ref: You here the klaxxons, and you see someguy opening the ballast
             tubes.
BUT, the sub could have only gone down deep enough such that it would still
be able to recycle it's air and move quickly, so all Indy had to do was
lasso the periscope or air recycling tubes. I never considered that inconsistant
However, when we see Indy at the sub base, I believe that he's dry. I can't
remember though.

The other problem: how did Indy & Marion leave the island?

Oh yes, also, the Germans never had a flying wing.

To answer something else..
In article <1347@pyuxa.UUCP> ajf@pyuxa.UUCP (A Figura) writes:
>While we're on inconsistencies in Raiders...
>
>Another thing I';ve never figured out is how Marion
>survives the truck explosion (when she's in that basket)?
>You never see her get out of the basket or off the truck
>before Indy blows it to smithereens.

"They must have switched baskets" as Indy said when he saw Marion in the tent.

>Oh well, I guess that's why the critics call this a FANTASY adventure movie.

I agree!!!

					-Sean "Yoda" Rouse
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
ARPA: 	cc-30@cory.berkeley.edu
UUCP: 	ucbvax!cory!cc-30

Ford, there's an infinite number of monkeys here that want to talk to us about
  this script for Hamlet they've worked out.

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (02/15/86)

> ... we see the sub coasting in to a stop and wonder where
> Indy is.  The next thing we see is him hiding behind some crates.  How did
> he get there?  The place was crawling with guards.

Cleverly.

Mark Brader
"It's ARK! ARK! Get it right, monkey boy!"